Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shipping milk

Default Shipping milk

A friend has offered to ship me some of her milk and I am wondering, before I decide if it's worth it for her to ship it, what all is involved. Is there a guideline on how much dry ice is needed? I assumed dry ice and ship in a styrofoam-type cooler. Is there a certain way it's mailed through US Mail (e.g., priority, otherwise...). If it's outrageously expensive I'll just not have her bother although it was very sweet and generous of her to offer. I know some moms ship their milk while on longer trips so I just wondered if anyone knew or if I could potentially research the costs involved before giving her an answer. Thanks!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: Shipping milk

i've never done it myself, but yes, styrofoam and dry ice. i think people prefer non-USPS methods, and they overnight it, and i think it's incredibly expensive. maybe not as expensive as formula in the long run or some such, but probably more expensive than formula in the short run? if that makes sense.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I figured it would be really expensive. The cruddy thing is I just got some milk from Human milk for human babies and she said how much she had and I should have just taken it all but I didn't want to be selfish so I only took part. Then my babies decided to way out-eat me. I think we'll be good for a few more weeks, though. I guess formula for 2-3 mos old twins maybe 4 oz/day isn't the end of the world. I just hate to support a formula company when they do everything they can to undermine breastfeeding and then I read scary things about ingredients made from tree bark mold and arsenic levels too high in rice. Blah.

maybe check out the site breastfeeding in combat boots. http://breastfeedingincombatboots.co...shipping-milk/ This is for deployment overseas, but maybe they have some info that you would find helpful.

thank you!