Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting daycare... some questions

Default Starting daycare... some questions

My son is almost 1 year old and will be starting daycare next month, for 4 hours a day in the morning.

Since my supply regulated I can't get any milk out by pumping or hand expressing anymore. If I pump while nursing my son I can get maybe 1 -2 oz out and I know he drinks more than that in one session.

I don't want to have to stress about pumping milk for him for the time that he will be gone, so my husband and I decided that he will have one bottle of formula (if needed) during those 4 hours. We don't want him to switch to cow or any kind of animal milk for various reasons.

My son however nurses the "most" during the morning, most likely since my breasts have filled up overnight. He eats 3 solid meals a day with snacks, and is a good eater. He is also in the 97th percentile for weight. I don't want to damage our nursing relationship or my supply, so I have the following questions:

1) Will my son start taking his "big nursing session" in the afternoon instead of the morning? Or will he reverse cycle and start nursing at night more to make up for the lost contact / cuddles?
    2) Will losing one "big nursing session" destroy my supply?
    3) I have been contemplating night weaning as well, as I have not had more than 3 hours of consecutive sleep in the last 1.5 years and it's really wearing me down. Should I wait with this untill after the adjustment period is over, or can I go down a few "little nursing sessions" (it's mostly comfort nursing) at night without destroying my supply too?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Starting daycare... some questions

Hi,
    Dd started daycare at 11 months so just posting my experience.she was phased in slowly starting with an hour to 6 hours eventually.I did pump initially for around 15 days, just an ounce or so, just so that there was something familiar and comforting for her in a new place.Eventually she did not take it,it started coming back so i substituted it with yogurt which dd loves, plus it also could be added to her solids in case they became too thick.The first thing we used to come and home and do was nursing. So my milk supply regulated accordingly.We still do that even now. She has changed her nursing pattern and sleep patterns accordingly.I just send water, solids and yogurt to daycare now, no milk.She nurses at home the rest of time, has cheese, yogurt and milk occasionally so i think her dairy requirement is being met.I thought that she would reverse cycle but that did not happen she sleeps at a stretch and then cluster feeds early morning say 4 times between 4.30 am and 6.30 am.Her solid intake did go up though,as for nursing she still enjoys it and it has its own phases.
    As regards your son its very difficult to say how he may react.Just take a day at a time and deal with it accordingly .Do not borrow trouble from the future as mommal says.

I don't think you need to give formula during the 4 hours separation. Water should be fine if he is thirsty, and solids if he is hungry, since it sounds like he is doing well with solids. If you are nursing on demand and offering frequently the rest of the time you are together, he should be getting plenty of milk (the rule of thumb is if baby has 3-5 nursing sessions per 24 hours, he is getting his dairy needs met by you). I don't see why he would necessarily be losing his big morning nursing session? Will he not be nursing before you leave in the morning? Either way, supply is not determined by a single nursing session, it's determined by the total demand over the day. If you continue to nurse frequently when you're together, your supply will be fine, even if the pattern changes a bit.

In terms of nightweaning, you might want to see how things go as you enter this new phase; give LO time to adjust and see whether/how it changes his nursing patterns, then tackle the nightweaning.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllsmum View Post
    Hi,
    Dd started daycare at 11 months so just posting my experience.she was phased in slowly starting with an hour to 6 hours eventually.I did pump initially for around 15 days, just an ounce or so, just so that there was something familiar and comforting for her in a new place.Eventually she did not take it,it started coming back so i substituted it with yogurt which dd loves, plus it also could be added to her solids in case they became too thick.The first thing we used to come and home and do was nursing. So my milk supply regulated accordingly.We still do that even now. She has changed her nursing pattern and sleep patterns accordingly.I just send water, solids and yogurt to daycare now, no milk.She nurses at home the rest of time, has cheese, yogurt and milk occasionally so i think her dairy requirement is being met.I thought that she would reverse cycle but that did not happen she sleeps at a stretch and then cluster feeds early morning say 4 times between 4.30 am and 6.30 am.Her solid intake did go up though,as for nursing she still enjoys it and it has its own phases.
    As regards your son its very difficult to say how he may react.Just take a day at a time and deal with it accordingly .Do not borrow trouble from the future as mommal says.
    Thanks for the story, it makes me feel a bit better. I guess I am just scared that if we are seperated for a longer stretch of time (we have never been away from each other more than 1 hour while he was awake) it will start a slippery slope of him not wanting to nurse anymore or my supply going down. It's hard to imagine how breastfeeding will look like, say 1 year down the road, and I don't want to jeopardize anything.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    I don't think you need to give formula during the 4 hours separation. Water should be fine if he is thirsty, and solids if he is hungry, since it sounds like he is doing well with solids. If you are nursing on demand and offering frequently the rest of the time you are together, he should be getting plenty of milk (the rule of thumb is if baby has 3-5 nursing sessions per 24 hours, he is getting his dairy needs met by you). I don't see why he would necessarily be losing his big morning nursing session? Will he not be nursing before you leave in the morning? Either way, supply is not determined by a single nursing session, it's determined by the total demand over the day. If you continue to nurse frequently when you're together, your supply will be fine, even if the pattern changes a bit.

In terms of nightweaning, you might want to see how things go as you enter this new phase; give LO time to adjust and see whether/how it changes his nursing patterns, then tackle the nightweaning.
    Thanks for the reply My son nurses in the morning primarly, the later it gets the less he nurses, save for a big nursing session before dinner. So the 4 hours coincides with his prime nursing time so to speak. But it could be that he would just shift it to a little later?

The nightweaning... thats a different story all together I think. He is only 1 year old but he is so big (97th percentile weight) and I am on the edge of being disfunctional during the day due to fatigue and sleep deprivation. But you are right, lets see how he adjusts to daycare first

My guess is that he will be very eager to nurse when you are reunited in the afternoon! And the key to keep him nursing is to encourage nursing when you're together. As soon as you're together again, offer to nurse! Offer frequently at other times. Limit pacifier use (if he uses one) when you're together. Then I don't think the separation leads to a slippery slope. My LO is still going strong at 18 months though I work full time. And on the weekends wants to nurse all the time even though usually she does not nurse during the day during the workweek. But it's normal to worry about how these transitions will affect your relationship with baby and your nursing relationship. Hope the transition goes smoothly for both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    My guess is that he will be very eager to nurse when you are reunited in the afternoon! And the key to keep him nursing is to encourage nursing when you're together. As soon as you're together again, offer to nurse! Offer frequently at other times. Limit pacifier use (if he uses one) when you're together. Then I don't think the separation leads to a slippery slope. My LO is still going strong at 18 months though I work full time. And on the weekends wants to nurse all the time even though usually she does not nurse during the day during the workweek. But it's normal to worry about how these transitions will affect your relationship with baby and your nursing relationship. Hope the transition goes smoothly for both of you!
    Sorry for the late reply... life got in the way Thanks that makes me feel much better.