Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Human milk Lactose intolerant?

Default Re: Human milk Lactose intolerant?

hi,
    Any intestinal injury be it a viral,bacterial infection or a food allergy causes a transient lactose intolerance.It generally takes a month for the intestinal cells to regenerate and the intestinal lactase levels to increase.They call this as post infectious lactose intolerance.The bacteria, virus may have gotten away in the first few days so the test results may not be positive.Also any diarrhoea generally seems to be more after intake of liquids and after eating.So may be u can wait it out for say 5 days more,but keep a close watch on her hydration,urine output,level of her fontanelle and activity.If any cause for concern then u can always revert back to your ped.

Really? i did not know that... ill search more about it.
    My little one poops like 5x a day... thats not completly normal i guess and some times greenish with mucus. Today she has being a little better, she is taking probiotics so we will see next week.

Thanks for your support.
    "Give the breast is give your best" (i´m giving my best!!)

Since when is 5x per day not normal? My second kid pooped at least that often until she was close to a year. When a kid is on a mostly liquid diet, it's totally normal for them to have a bowel movement just about every time they eat. Or not- some babies will go a week between poops. There's a lot of variation in the normal spectrum!

Wen a breastfed baby has diarrhea, the poops will be almost watery and often foul-smelling. If that's not what you're seeing, then maybe your LO just increased her frequency.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wen a breastfed baby has diarrhea, the poops will be almost watery and often foul-smelling. If that's not what you're seeing, then maybe your LO just increased her frequency
    , but also, once baby starts solids poops get much smellier anyway.

With a breastfed baby, whose diet is almost completely breastmilk, it is completely normal to continue to have frequent and very moist poops even long after solids are introduced. It takes time to build up to "solid" looking poops, and then it fluctuates back and fourth, depending on how much (and what) solids baby ate that day (or the day before) and how much baby nursed.

I knew my baby had diarrhea when she went from her 'normal' of pooping a pretty solid poop at most once or twice a day to pooping about 10 times a day, totally watery and yucky yucky poops. And that was at 13 months, much older than your baby, after months of less frequent, more solid poops. I knew she was getting better when the poop frequency slowed down and the poops got thicker. They are still quite moist and smooshy, because even at 13 months she gets much more breastmilk than "solid" food. And today she went three times even though she has been 100% diarrhea free for about 5 days.

Hello moms,

Thanks for your advice... after 8 days taking probiotics i can see a little improvement... still sometimes she poops when she takes my milk (sometimes immediately, sometimes after an hour or something...) also you can hear her stomach running and sometimes she gets gassy... thats what really bothers me and worries me because i start to think -even i really dont think so- what if is the breastmilk???. Since she is eating solids her poop used to be like a mosh, never too liquid, never too thick... now sometimes is very liquid sometimes looks normal. Dr. said to wait and be patient because reestablish an intestinal flora of a baby can take a while...
    Thanks for your advice... we have like 20 days with this strange digestion so thats why im kind of loosing my patient.

Hugs

Since she is eating solids her poop used to be like a mosh, never too liquid, never too thick... now sometimes is very liquid sometimes looks normal. Dr. said to wait and be patient because reestablish an intestinal flora of a baby can take a while...
    Your doctor sounds just like my doctor!
    Is it possible that the poops differences are simply normal, based on baby’s diet, differences in what/how much she eats one day compared to another, and amount of breastmilk baby is getting? that either baby is over the diarrhea illness or intolerance, or maybe never even had ‘true’ diarrhea? Simply starting solids can do all kinds of interesting things to poops!

I guess I am saying I am not sure what 'normal' in terms of poop 'look' or frequency would be for a 7-8 month old who is mostly breastfed and has been eating solids for what- or month or two at most?

When my baby started solids, the first thing that happened is she did not poop for 21 days. Then she started pooping about a couple times per week. the MORE solids she took, the more often she pooped. Once she started eating three meals pretty regularly at 11 months or so, she pooped daily and sometimes 2-3 times a day.

With my baby, It took 21 days for her to have a single poop that looked like they did before she got sick. But I could tell she was on the mend about 5 days before that because the frequency of poops went down. Now, my baby is almost 14 months old, eats lots of solids, and has been eating ‘some’ solids for 7 months! But her ‘normal’ poops STILL vary quite a bit in consistency and frequency.

We have all been assuming that this was either a virus or other illness or a lactose intolerance issue. But what if it has more to do with how much and what solids your baby is eating?

gassyness, tummy digestion sounds, and pooping after/during nursing is all normal- the reason a baby so often poops when or shortly after nursing is because the action of sucking (or eating) causes the body to need to poop. Many older children and adults also feel the urge after eating!

Hello moms
    I just wanted to let you know that after 25 days of this strange diarrhea my baby is better. We didn't do anything special...
    Still breastfeeding and very happy. Today she turned 8 months old

Thanks for your help

Thank you for the update! I'm so glad to hear that everything turned out and that you're still nursing. Well played, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks!!!!
    Even though I'm kind of paranoid looking at her poop, smelling it and everything jajaja sometimes is more liquid, sometimes more pasty but i believe diarrhea is gone.
    Thanks for reading me and for your support.

I am late to this thread, but just wanted to say that I totally relate to being obsessed about my kids' poop lol I even try to keep an eye on what comes out of my 7yo (when I can do so subtly), because our poop tells us so much about our state of health. Heh, we had a whole discussion about poop one time in a nutrition class I took, it's really pretty interesting once you get past the grossness factor
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God