Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Human milk Lactose intolerant?

Default Human milk Lactose intolerant?

Dear moms, i´m very worried and i need some advice:
    My daughter has been with diarrhea for 9 days, so we took a stool test and she has no bacteria or virus. I took her to the doctor because she got worse (depositions every time she breastfed) so he ask for another test to see if she is lactose intolerant... turns out it supposed to be positive (this is a PH test). She is 7 mo and we have never had this problem before. His recommendation is to wean the baby immediately, and start with delactosed formula but I'm not ready for that and also not my daughter. So i proposed to try an absolute 0 dairy diet and he told me that i can give it a try. Right now her only symptom is this strange diarrhea and nothing else. I wasnt sure about this diagnosis so i also took her to a pediatric gastroenterologist and he thinks it is almost impossible to develop a lactose intolerance if the baby has never had this problem before, so he gave her a medicine for 6 days... she got better but now we are like day 1 again! (green mucus diarrhea every time she takes my milk)
    I need some advice in here... anyone has or knows a baby who developed a human milk lactose intolerance?
    It is posible that a 7mo baby develop a human milk lactose intolerance?

Thanks in advanced

Default Re: Human milk Lactose intolerant?

Welcome to the forum!

It's really, really, REALLY rare for babies to be lactose-intolerant. When they are, it is a life-threatening metabolic issue which is present from birth (e.g. galactosemia, congenital lactase deficiency). That's why I think your gastroenterologist was not in agreement with the pediatrician- those life-threatening metabolic disorders are not things that crop up at 7 months! They present within days or perhaps weeks of birth.

What might be going on- and what may have caused the positive stool acidity test- is something called secondary lactose intolerance. Secondary lactose intolerance is a temporary condition which usually follows a bout of illness or an allergic reaction. The fact that your baby had diarrhea- that suggests that an illness (viral, bacterial) could have damaged the lining of her intestine enough that she's having some temporary trouble digesting lactose. The fact that the doc didn't find any bacteria or virus in her stool doesn't necessarily mean anything. There is a whole unknown universe of pathogens out there, and believe me, those stool tests don't test for everything! Maybe for the common diarrheal illnesses- norovirus, rotavirus, E. coli- but there are so many other possibilities that I don't see how your pediatrician could have eliminated them all.

I personally think that your instincts are right on- if your baby is otherwise healthy and happy and growing at a normal rate, there's no need to discontinue breastfeeding. Just keep an eye on it. In my experience, diarrhea can be a pretty long-lasting phenomenon. My kids have routinely gone a week with it. And we have a mom here, who is a LLL leader, whose kid has had a tummy big for like 15 days!

Links on lactose:
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/lactose
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfi...verload-babies
    http://kellymom.com/health/baby-heal...e-intolerance/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm the one with the baby (13 months) with the two week + bout of diarhea!
    The fact that the doc didn't find any bacteria or virus in her stool doesn't necessarily mean anything.
    This is true, Read what the cdc says about testing for whatever your baby was tested for- the tests they wanted to give my baby are often not even conclusive!

So you have two doctors with different opinions? I would stick with the one that makes the most sense to you.

In my case, I monitored baby for other signs of ill health, such as dehydration or weight loss, (she showed none) fed baby things from the BRAT list and avoided the P list and fruit juice (never do fruit juice anyway.) and just road it out. It was concerning but not scary because she was otherwise healthy- no fever etc. She was a little extra fussy and nursed a ton during this time-more than normal. Otherwise, it was just the smelly messy frequent liguidy poops, no other symptoms.

My doctor did not do any ph test, I do not know anything about that so I'll go along with mommal on that.

here is the link to my thread, I got some interesting & helpful responses http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...onth-old/page3
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; September 16th, 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Thank you!! that´s exactly what i read about it... that it is very rare to develop a lactose intolerance.
    My little one as your baby doesnt have any other symptom either (no vomit, no rash, no pain, no fever) but nursing a ton also! she is teething so i assume that is the reason why she is a little fussy too.

Ill let you know... by now we have 10 days with this strange diarrhea

Unfortunately my baby still has diarrhea im really worried... still no other symptoms and trying a new treatment (probiotics and an astringent)
    We have 15 days like this and is very frustrating... specially because she always has depositions every time she breastfed.
    "Give the breast is give your best" (i´m giving my best!!)

Baby's still happy and otherwise healthy, right?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

yes, she is completly normal... that´s the strange thing... i haven´t checked her weight but she seems pretty normal to me. .. maybe fussy a couple of days because she is teething.
    Just diarrhea and every time she takes my milk and some stomach noise
    I suppose that she is having an intolerance due to some virus or something....
    Last edited by @llli*domer; September 20th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.

Your baby is 7 months old, right? How much is baby eating solids?

If baby has upped breastfeedind and lowered solid intake, could baby be having very loose poops due to that? I don’t mean before, I know baby was sick- but now?

With my baby (who at 13 months was eating lots of solids before getting sick, and ate them while sick as well but not quite as much, and nursed way more) the first sign things were improving was the poops were less frequent. They went from 8 or so a day, down to four, to two, to one and then not even every other day. But they stayed pretty wet all that time until we got to less than once a day.

Baby takes lunch and a fruit morning or afternoon... same thing as a month before... so, i think still has diarrhea.
    What worries me more is that poops come after take the breast... if she eats solids she doesnt poop. I assume she has secondary lactose intolerance... what is causing this? i dont know, because we took another test to search for bacteria or parasites and nothing!

It's very normal for a baby to poop right after nursing. It doesn't mean the baby is having a problem with lactose. There's something called the gastrocolic reflex- when something goes in at the top of the digestive system, the stimulation moves something out at the bottom of the digestive system. People actually learn to coordinate and control this reflex over time, usually around the time they are potty-trained. But babies don't have any incentive to hold their poop in, so whenever they feel the urge, they go!

Normal poop frequency in a breastfed baby who is >6 weeks old can vary from pooping once a week to pooping multiple times a day.