Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chomping/Uncoordinated Suck

Default Chomping/Uncoordinated Suck

I am needing suggestions please...my breastfeeding journey has been long and hard. My son is now 9 weeks old. At birth, he did not suck and would just "chomp". I was eventually able to breastfeed him using a nipple shield and was able to wean off shield, but breastfeeding would never feel consistently good. He was now sucking, but it hurt and my nipples were pinched and chaffed. Discovered an upper lip tie and posterior tongue tie on him around 2-3 weeks and saw an occupational therapist who taught me how to do stretching exercises on the lips. Didn't seem to help. We went and got the ties lasered when he was 6 weeks. After the revision, latching got somewhat better and then worse because he started "chomping" again and wouldn't even take a pacifier or finger to suck on. We saw a chiropractor at 7 weeks and it seemed he was able to open wider. We had about a day of good feeding with no pain and then he started chomping again. Presently he is still chomping. He will now suck on pacifier and/or finger. I have tried to do tongue exercises and suck training before feeding, but he just gets upset. In between feeds I try to do some suck training and he will give a few good sucks, but is still mainly chomping.

He is gaining weight well...which is a blessing. But it is so uncomfortable/painful for me. My nipples are pinched on the sides when he comes off the breast. The skin is peeling off my nipples and I am getting vasospasms afterwards. Breastfeeding is so important to me and something I looked forward to doing when he was born. I just want to be able to breastfeed without pain!

Has anyone else gone through similar situation and have any advice? Please help. Thank you

Default Re: Chomping/Uncoordinated Suck

Are you under the care of an IBCLC?

I am a CLC myself and have been working with an IBCLC too.

OK, because when a mom is having this much trouble after a tt release, I usually refer mom to an IBCLC. Do you or your IBCLC have CW Genna's book on supporting sucking skills and has that been utilized? If your IBCLC is on Lactnet, she can ask there for ideas for you from other IBCLCs.

There are moms on here who have had tt issues, and I know most seem to have benefitted from doing post-tt release excercises. Have you had baby's mouth reevaluated? As I am sure you are aware, sometimes it takes more than one procedure.

Maybe even try contacting CW Genna yourself. or Lawrence Kotlow?

We had about a day of good feeding with no pain and then he started chomping again.
    So baby is capable of latching well and not chomping. This is valuable information. I wonder what was different about that day, if anything? Nursing frequency, positioning?

Here are some shots in the dark-sorry I have no idea what all you have tried so...
    Have you tried using the sheild again to see if that helps?
    ruled out other causes for chomping-forceful letdown, for example?
    Tried laid back positioning?
    IS Any position less painful?
    Nursing with extreme frequency? (I did this when I had latch and engorgement issues with my daughter-to the point of setting my alarm at night so she did not go more than 2-3 hours. It helped, in part becasue it helped with the engorgement but I think also because baby was never very hungry so seemed to nurse more gently.)
    Is your IBCLC a personal friend? Personally, during my pretty extreme challenges with very bad latch pain/ineffective latch with my daughter (third breastfed baby -born when I had been an LLL Leader for 5 years) I did better when I (finally) worked with an IBCLC I did not know, so our relationship was strictly professional. This was despite the fact that of the three IBCLCs I saw, the one I did not know personally (and who helped me the most) was by far the least experienced. I have many theories of why this was but that is just my personal experience.
    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; September 15th, 2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: sorry, Lawrence Kotlow. Why do I keep wanting to call him Harvey?