Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Illness and pumping output?

Default Illness and pumping output?

I know it's completely normal to have a dip in pumping output when you're ill. I was just curious if BTDT moms could share their experiences with about how long it usually took to jump back up to normal? I'm on the last legs of a bad cold that I've had for over a week, and coming up about 3 oz short every day.

My baby is also 10 months old tomorrow, so I know it's prime time for a pump slump. Just curious if I can still blame illness on my shortage, or if it's time to start rebooting my pumping game!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Default Re: Illness and pumping output?

Since you haven't kicked the cold yet, I think that could still be explaining things. Are you off work this weekend? I would give it the weekend, try to get in lots of rest and nursing, and see where you are on Monday. I would probably even favor nursing over solids when you're together (which at that age I was doing anyway when together with LO on the weekends). If you have a restful weekend and are feeling better on Monday and still coming up short, maybe add in a little more pumping if you have to until you get back to your usual output (though I hate to say that since I know you already pump a ton!).

We always nurse a ton on the weekends, so that's easy enough. Withholding solids is getting tougher these days--she LOVES them, and signs "more" for, well, more, and gets really mad if she doesn't get it. She hasn't decreased her nursing frequency one bit as the solids have exploded, though, and I was keeping up before I got sick, so I think we're okay there.

I made my husband get me new membranes for next week, just in case. Honestly, I seem to go through a lot of those, but it always helps.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Your daughter's love of solids bodes well for your pump weaning in a couple of months! As long as does lots of nursing, not an issue. Fortunately the membranes are not TOO expensive, though more than what you would think a little round plastic thingy would cost!

Well, I was back up to 11 ounces yesterday, which is what she drinks while I'm away. So it was either the cold, or those darn membranes again, but either way, glad we're fixed. Two more months to keep up!

Yay! I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering how it was going. Thanks for the update!

Ick, may have spoken too soon. I'm back down to 9-10 oz a day. Baby is taking 10-11, so it's only a two ounce shortfall. I have always kept a little extra fresh in the fridge for emergencies (my mom is excellent and never overfeeds), so tomorrow is going to be the first time I probably need to grab a freezer bag.

I doubt I'll be able to pump more at work. Baby is a solids eating fiend. I have 50 or so ounces in the freezer. I think I may just have to use the freezer ounces. I know that's a slippery slope usually, but at 10 months...perhaps not so bad for just several more weeks?

I agree, I think you're okay. I mean, if LO does need 2 oz extra, that still buys you 25 days minimum, and probably more if some days you're only short by an ounce or less. This is what the freezer stash is for! You may very well make it to a year with what you have in the freezer, and if not, you can always add in a little pumping on the weekend. Or introduce cow's milk a week or two early, if you are planning on having LO drink it after a year.

Well, she only drank 9 ounces yesterday, so I didn't pull from the freezer just yet. The last time I had a permanent dip in supply, she started matching my output within a week. So maybe she's adjusting again. We'll see!

Very possible that she is drinking just a bit less if she is loving solids so much. In fact that may be WHY your pump output has gone down a little, in addition to the illness - ie she may actually be nursing a bit less too when you're together which of course you have no way of knowing exactly!