Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reintroducing Breast feeding

Default Re: Reintroducing Breast feeding

Greeetings, I got a new pump. It is medela, the one with the backpack. I also decided to cut holes in an old sportsbra to keep the sucking things in place when i walk around. Right now baby is latched. I have been trying to push the boob on her a bit more and sometimes she likes it and other times she looks at me mad, wondering why I am giving her something that squirts out very little milk and not her bottle). And yea when I do feed her formula and try to put her on the breast, sometimes she gets mad at me and refuses to latch. I have way more luck at night and from what I was told, the night is the most crucial because my hormones are peaking and it helps to establish a supply.

Right now I am drinking about 4 cups of fuegreek (mother's milk) tea a day and I noticed that the left boob that seemed to have issues is acting better, I also put her on it when she lets me.

Definitely some mothers have better luck getting baby to latch at night or falling asleep. What about when putting her down for naps? That may be another promising time as well to try. And yes, she may be a bit fussy about taking the breast if she is used to the bottle. Are you using the slowest flow nipples on the bottle? Basically you want the bottle to be as close the breastfeeding experience as possible. Here are some more links about bottle-feeding: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/
    But that's great that you got the new pump, and that you've figured out a way to make it hands-free! Not only will it help build supply, but of course giving baby the expressed breast milk is good for her too.

I try to pump every 3-4 hours. I have a medela swing, but I am going to start using the medela carry backpack pump when it comes in (will be in at the end of this week). I try to get the nipple in the middle and I notice that after a while it feels like my whole nipple is being sucked into the tunnel. Oh and good news. Last night Rhia woke up at about 3am and I put her in bed and proceeded to give her a bottle. She had half of it and then spit it out and went for my boob and stayed there. We then both passed out in bed and I woke up at 5 am and gave her both. I typically do that at night. I don't normally pump at night because I get her on my breasts. I probably should though because even though she sucks when she is half asleep it is not a lot.

To add the part I described about having my whole nipple sucked in is only after I had been pumping a while and it depends on how hard I make the pump work. What type should I get? I have dr. brows 8oz bottles and then some 5oz bottles
    Last edited by @llli*mariahchelsey; September 17th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

They have nipples that have a slow flow? I think I found some for preemies I have these types of bottles and from what I read a lot of breastfeeding mom's use it so that their babies won't prefer bottle over boob (it shouldn't let milk come out fast).
    Last edited by @llli*mariahchelsey; September 17th, 2013 at 04:52 PM.

Yes, there are slower flow nipples. Sometimes they have a number on them, for example, 0, 1, 2 - 0 is the slowest flow. You can test the flow by running water through them and pick the one that is slowest. Or the preemie type sounds like it might be right. Different bottles work for different babies. You might have to experiment with some different kinds. I've used the Avent bottles with the "0" nipples and I've also used the medela bottles that come with the pump. But others have success with other types too.

If your whole nipple is getting sucked in, the flanges may be too big. The nipple should move back and forth easily but your breast shouldn't be getting sucked in, if that makes sense.

In terms of the power, you want pumping to be comfortable. So adjust the power so that you get the most suction without it being uncomfortable.

The nighttime latching sounds great!

Best way to try to lessen nipple or flow confusion that causes what appears to be bottle preference is to make sure any bottles are given in a breastfeeding supportive way. Small amounts of milk, given frequently, on cue, with pauses taken during the feeding and with baby held upright and bottle more horizontal with just a little milk in nipple tip to prevent milk being poured into baby's mouth. yes use slow flow nipple, but even slow flow nipple drip or flow when held almost upside down in "typical" (and incorrect) bottle feeding posture.

See this for more: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

ah ok. Well i ordered the nipples so i will have to give it a go. I will update on it because i am sure this discussion is not just useful for me, but for other people who have problems like I do. So far I have been drinking 4-5 cups of mother's milk tea a day and I am taking 3 pills of feungreek a day and I am already up to half an ounce a day. That is a lot considering I only actively started trying my hardest a couple of days ago.

Yes, that's good progress!

I think with nursing it is an ounce a day now when I add it to pumping. She also latches during the day more often too. Probably because I offer it a lot. Thank you everyone for the advice. I have hope I can do it and having received help means a lot to me.