Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reintroducing Breast feeding

Default Reintroducing Breast feeding

I have always breast fed my daughter, but I mostly give her formula. I have been trying for two months to get her off of that stuff, but she get's impatient with me. I tried pumping, but hardly anything comes out and I have tried the double pump as well with the same problem. She can latch and does, but only if she is not hungry. She is five months old and I stopped feeding her exclusively when she was two months old because it hurt really bad and she was latching correctly. So please help I want to do this for her. I think I also need support too because this is really difficult.

Default Re: Reintroducing Breast feeding

Welcome to the forum!

I agree, what you're trying to do is difficult!!!! But it's also possible. You want to take a 2-pronged approach, simultaneously rebuilding milk supply and encouraging your baby to latch and nurse more often. This link has tips for the latter: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

In order to rebuild supply, you really do want to pump. You want a good double electric pump- a hospital-grade rental is ideal, a top-range double electric (e.g. Medela Pump in Style, Hygeia Enjoye) is the second-best option. Use it frequently- every 2-3 hours, if possible. Milk is created on a supply = demand basis, so the more you pump the more you'll make.

Do you want to tell us more about the pain you experienced when your LO was nursing? Maybe we can help you break down what went wrong, and make sure it's unlikely to be a problem for you now.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's great that you've continued to breastfeed her even while giving her formula. As mommal says it's supply and demand, so you can start to gradually build your supply by increasing demand, ie by more nursing and pumping. Does it still hurt when baby latches?

Here's another article about weaning from supplements: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/

The pain was from cracked nipples and sometimes they would bleed. I think the pain of breastfeeding several months ago could have been why I was having issues feeding her because I was stressed out and in pain. I know she was latching right and had enough in her mouth. I looked at several pictures and made sure that her lips did not flare out too much. What I tried is expressing milk, but that didn't really help and I also tried that cream that starts with an l (not going to bother spelling it because i will spell it wrong. I was thinking about renting a pump, but I would have to drive an hour to pick it up (would be worth it though).

When baby nurses now, does it hurt? Pain typically indicates an 'off' latch, even if it looks "correct."

She can latch and does, but only if she is not hungry.
    But does she nurse at that point? What do you mean, only when not hungry?

If your baby is able to latch and nurse wiht any effectiveness, you might be able to make some good progress simply by gently encouraging more frequent nursing. It is frequent milk extraction that will build production, and that can be done with a pump OR nursing. Or both, of course. I certainly agree it is worth an hours drive to get a good pump, but I am saying, nursing as well as pumping may help move things along that much more quickly.

So perhaps try nursing at earliest cues, basically at the point baby is thinking "hmmm, I could eat..." but before baby is truly hungry and frantic. Also, if baby is too impatient to nurse, you cna try giving baby a small amount of supplement in the bottle and THEN try to nurse, or try "instant reward" etc. There are many ways to approach relactating and weaning off formula...too many to cover in a post.

You ARE nursing your baby. Some babies always require supplements, and of course the vast majority of mothers have stopped nursing completely by 3 months (if they ever nursed baby at all.) And many, many mothers are undermined in their desire to nurse by a lack of support or effective assistance. I agree with mommal. Don't let others judgments about your mothering take you off track from what you need to do (or needed to do) or feel is right.

I have to give her formula before putting her on the breast. She usually takes about 3-4oz of that before she is calm enough to go on. I do agree with the last part that you said. I have had little support which is why when my nipples were hurting like they did (cracked and semi-bleeding) I started using formula more. I am at least thankful she will latch once in a while (especially when she wants to go to sleep), because it could always be worse in that she won't latch at all.

Hi mama, a typical "meal" at the breast is somewhere between 2 and 4 ounces. So if you give 3-4 ounces of formula, she may simply not be very hungry anymore by the time she gets on the breast. One suggestion would be to offer her 2 ounces of formula, for example (you may have to play around with this a bit), before she starts showing any signs of being upset, then offer the breast.

So at this point are nipples cracked, bleeding or painful at all? It doesn't sound like it but just want to be clear.

It is definitely a huge advantage that she is still latching! Much more difficult to be in this position with a baby who won't latch at all.

One other thing to consider is working with a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, to help you in person.

Nipples are not that sore now, only more than usual because I have been trying to pump. No far I think I have pumped less than an ounce. She tends to drink more when on breast. I try giving her 2oz of formula and then boob but she eats a lot (5oz until satisfied). Right now, and this may be weird, I think that what is more effective than pumping is squeezing expressed milk into a bottle. I am getting more faster than with pumping.

By all means, hand express if that is working better than pumping. But I'm wondering about your pump. It should not make you sore. What kind of pump are you using?

Okay, so, if you give 2 oz of formula, then she does not want to get on the breast? Or are you worried that she will not get enough that way? One thing is that babies are not typically going to get 5 oz at the breast. So if she's used to getting such a big meal, she may have to start getting used to more frequent, smaller meals, which is the way a baby would be eating at the breast. If she usually wants 5 oz, you may have to back down more slowly. ie, try giving her 3 oz of formula, then the breast.

Yes pumping should not hurt. Hand expression is more effective for many moms and certainly is better than a poorly performing pump.

If you do want to keep pumping in the mix, Can you give us a rundown of your pumping habits (How often, how long) and also, type of pump. Is your nipple rubbing against the sides of the "tunnel" when you pump? That might indicate a too small flange.