Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to work, how to get baby to nap with Grandma??

Default Returning to work, how to get baby to nap with Grandma??

Hi,
    I didn't really know where to post this but my issue is that I have always had to nurse my son to sleep. He has always been extremely difficult to fall and stay asleep. Now we are in a semi solid routine but I have to return to work in a week. He is 1 year old and is napping twice a day. We have always coslept and now we are on a mattress on the floor in his room. He usually plays around and acts silly for 5-10 minutes and then nurses for about 5-10 minutes and falls asleep.

So what is my poor mother going to do when I am at work? I have faith they will figure out a way as this is what I have read but is there any suggestions to make the transition easier or any tips on how to proceed? They will be at our house so he will have access to his floor bed and she could try laying in that with him and giving him a soother which he sometimes takes. Or they could try the crib that is still in my husbands room that my son has NEVER slept in? Or we have a playpen?

I have about a week left should I also try to help them or just let them start when I leave?

I know there will be a lot of tears and screaming and I am ok with that but I dont want my mom to be stressed out as this is a big enough transisiton as is.

Any help/tips/advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Anita

Default Re: Returning to work, how to get baby to nap with Grandma??

Don't borrow trouble from the future, even if the future is only a week away. Continue in your normal rhythm and trust that your mom will figure things out when you're not there. Let her develop her own routine with your LO. And don't be too shocked if he starts taking a single nap- most kids transition away from the double nap at around a year, anyway.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree. Your little one is old enough to know that when you're not there, neither are the breasts. He and grandma will figure out their routine. I wouldn't try to work on it now, because when you ARE there, he's going to expect his usual routine.

It's stressful going back to work... but it gets better.

One thing you could do is have your mother come over and help with naps a few times while you're still home. She could see your routine and see what she could use -- for example, if you read a book before nap, she could do that. With my LO, she wore a little sleep sack (still does!) so putting that on and turning on her sound machine was a cue for her that she'd be going to sleep for whomever was there (our nanny or my husband usually). She could hold your LO until he falls asleep, which would probably be similar enough to being cuddled during nursing to help fall asleep.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Hello! We are so similar! We have the same bedtime routine/setting! We co-slept too, but now our little one sleeps on a mattress on the floor (where I often join him later in the night). I nurse him to sleep for both his daily naps (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) and also at bedtime. He too plays around for a little while and often uses me as a jungle gym. *lol* My little one is almost 10 months old.

I understand how you feel!!! My husband I would like to go on some dates in the evening together but are worried about Oliver's bedtime routine with whoever babysits him. We often have story time with Dad, bath with either of us, and then a little massage and nursing. I too had a concern about daytime naps when I left him with someone, as I find they are so important for him or he gets fussy and overtired (sometimes then not sleeping well at night). However, my husband's Mom, whenever she has him, often will take him for a walk in the stroller or even wear him in the ergo wrap to get him to sleep. The car also works wonders!!! I think that if she babysits, she'll probably wear him or rock him.

Trust that the two of them will be just fine and that no matter what, they will grow and learn together and get into a routine with each other. Perhaps she could read to him a couple of stories before nap time in a calm, soothing room to settle him in (or do a little bit of what you normally do, such a soft music, etc.) and rub his back while laying next to him, etc. If it doesn't work, she can take him for a walk, a drive, moby wrap or ergo carrier, or whatever works. Sometimes after about a week of one routine, things begin to settle. So, if she were consistent every day with stories & back rub/rocking (and then maybe laying down with him and slowly transitioning him to the bed that way to sleep on his belly, especially if he's a light sleeper and wakes easily when being transitioned to the bed like my little guy *lol*), it may work after a week!!!

Good luck & try to trust that things will work out. I know it's hard sometimes, as we want the best for our babies and want to ensure things are easy for others. But they'll figure it out and get into their own groove. And know that it's okay your baby is the way he is!!! He's perfect the way he is! Every baby is so different. And it's okay he still naps 2 times in a day~some babies need more sleep than others. After a year old they can still nap 2 times a day for sure~the transition to one nap will come when you notice he's taking a shorter 2nd nap or not sleeping well for one of them.

Hi again! I forgot to mention that if you are comfortable with this, you could also express and have Grandma feed your milk to your son through a bottle. She could get cozy with him, however you two snuggle in for sleep, and try to feed him this way. Or she could rock him to sleep while feeding him. He might not take to a bottle (or it might take a while for him to get used to) but it's worth a try, especially since it will be your milk he will be tasting.