Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight loss 10 months post partum-breast feeding

Default Re: Weight loss 10 months post partum-breast feeding

I agree with asking your doctor for full nutrition blood work testing. I've seen some interesting articles lately in the affects of low magnesium (numbers are reported that 70% of the country is deficient) causing sleep disturbances. Iodine deficiency (somewhere around 90% of the population!) can interfere with proper thyroid functions and bromide (aka brominated flour) actually stops the thyroid from absorbing iodine. It's something to look into. I began and ended my pregnancy at those exact weights and even with dairy restrictions the first year have only managed to get down to 135 two years later. I'm not sure of your height but I'm 5'3. I'd be unhealthy skinny at 112. You're definitely right in taking steps to find the cause of this. Here's one link on iodine:
    http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/complementary-medicine/201108/iodine-deficiency-old-epidemic-is-back
    I think the original article I read was from the Dr. Brownstein mentioned in it.
    Last edited by @llli*zaynethepain; September 12th, 2013 at 02:52 PM.

Update: I went to the doctors (PCP) and she is rechecking my thyroid and cbc and a few other labs. If they come back normal again, she has referred me to an endocrinologist. She seemed quite concerned about how much hair I am losing and how rapid my weight is coming off (this is the same doctor who attributed my symptoms to breastfeeding and post partum recovery.) I'll let you all know more once I do
    After six years of infertility and 2 miscarriages later , I am proud to say I am the happiest woman alive thanks to my son Giuseppe
    Nicole Marie

Well, that sounds like progress. I'm glad she is taking your symptoms seriously.

Let us know how things go, mama. I hope you find an answer!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you done your own research on what might cause these symptoms?

When I was pregnant with my first child 10 years ago, I itched all over. I mean, including my eyeballs and inside my mouth! My OB (who is now chief of obstetrics at the same major medical center) kept insisting that 'pregnant women itch' and told me to take Benadryl as the itching was so severe I could not sleep. The Benadryl did nothing, nor did the numerous creams and lotions I desperately smeared all over myself.

I researched online and discovered my symptoms indicated Cholestasis of pregnancy aka obstetric cholestasis. Not only is this real, it is testable, treatable (somewhat) and potentially very serious as it is connected to a higher rate of stillbirth past 37 weeks gestation.

Despite some eyerolling from the staff at my obs office, I insisted that I be tested and I will never forget the shock on my ob's assistant's face when she saw the test results and realized I indeed had this condition, which at that time was thought to be almost impossibly rare.

Now all the doctors in that medical group all test routinely to rule this out if a pregnant mom is itchy.

There is a ton of nonsense on the internet so of course you have to be careful about your sources, but that is my story of how following my instincts, doing some careful research and advocating for myself led me to the answers I needed.

Being your own advocate is KEY!!! My doc would not have tested me for thyroid issues except that I insisted. As far as she was concerned, the menstrual irregularities I reported were likely just symptoms of my aging ovaries. Wish I could have been there to see the look on her face when the test results came in... I'm guessing it was something like this:
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wanted to echo that I am in a very similar boat: 9.5 mo DS, full time working mother and exclusive breastfeeder. I am also beyond exhausted (which everyone attributes to DS's sleep habits), am down to 111 pounds, which is below the 118 I was at when I conceived (which everyone attributes to the fact that I am nursing, but I eat obscene quantities of food), my hair is falling out (which everyone blames on breastfeeding) and my eyes are always dry and fatigued (which an optometrist attributed to the hormonal demands of breastfeeding). I know being a mom to an infant and an almost 4 year old, plus working full time is supposedto make me tired, but I wasn't expecting to feel like I want to fall asleep on the living room floor while the kids play over my unconscious body. I have also requested that my thyroid be rechecked. Apparently the TSH was 0.47 back in March 13 and the normal range is 0.23 - 4.30. I know pregnancy does weird things to your body, but I wasn't expecting them to continue this long. So I feel your pain. I also understand the desire to want to nurse a baby no matter what, even if according to my mother and various physicians, it ruins my body and sucks out every nutrient I had happened to store away. This is my last baby. I want to do right by him. I hope you get some answers, and if you do, I hope you share what worked for you so that maybe I and others can benefit.