Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss 10 months post partum-breast feeding

Default Weight loss 10 months post partum-breast feeding

Hi everyone! When I got pregnant I weighed 150 lbs. When I delivered my baby I weighed 180 lbs. 10 months later, I now weigh 112 lbs. I breast feed my son who has allergies to dairy and soy so I do have some restrictions on what I can and can not eat but I still eat a whole bunch of healthy and fattening foods but can't seem to pack on any weight. I have an appointment tomorrow with my doctor who has already checked my thyroid levels which came back normal 4 months ago, but I am going back to see her to follow up. Any ideas of what could be going on with me? I also have excessive hair loss, clogging up the drain in the shower, shedding all over my clothes, waking up to a pillow covered in hair etc. Not sure what's going on, but I feel physically weak and like I am slowing withering away.

Default Re: Weight loss 10 months post partum-breast feeding

I think you're on the right track to check back in with your doc. It still could be your thyroid -- even though it was normal before, it might not be now. I'm not a medical professional so I can't offer a specific idea, but I agree that your symptoms sound concerning. Good luck -- I hope you and your doc are able to identify the cause and that you start feeling better soon. It's hard enough to keep up with a 10 month old on the best of days ... you need all your strength and energy!

I am no doctor but I would suggest testing for nutritional deficiencies. Low iron, low b-12, I don’t know what all. I would also suggest you speak to a nutritionist.

I know from your other posts that you also pump as well as nurse, even at night, and work outside the home as well. You may be dealing with some severe, long term sleep depravation., I am not sure if that would make your hair fall out, but it's not healthy.

I also know from your posts that your husband may be overfeeding baby while you are at work, causing you to feel the need to pump quite a bit of milk. Mothers are designed to breastfeed, so we are designed to stay 100% healthy while making enough milk for our babies. But if you are asking too much of your body by asking your body to make more than your child really needs, I would think that may cause problems, or at least make it harder to keep up, calorie intake wise.

I believe you also take some herbal galactagogues? Herbs are medicines that may have side affects. For example, fenugreek causes digestive issues in some mothers, and it is contraindicated in mothers with certain hormonal imbalances I believe (??) www.Kellymom.com has good articles about specific galactagogues where you can get more info on this.

Anyone else have experience with this kind of concern?

Thank you both. I will have her recheck my labs and thyroid. One person would tell me this was normal due to breastfeeding, but as you said, our bodies were designed to give nutrition to babies and keep us healthy at the same time and for this reason I am still worried. I am used to not sleeping, but I probably am sleep deprived. I am going to try sneaking in a nap when the baby naps. I will do more research on the fenugreek. I do get cramps (intestinal) sometimes after taking them. I wonder what type of hormonal imbalances you are speaking of, I am going to the website you gave me now to read more.
    After six years of infertility and 2 miscarriages later , I am proud to say I am the happiest woman alive thanks to my son Giuseppe
    Nicole Marie

So the last time you had your thryoid levels done was 4 months ago? I'd want to have them done again. Hair loss, weight loss, feeling very weak or tired- those are all hyperthyroid symptoms.

ETA: Sleep disturbances are also a symptom of thyroid problems- sounds like you might be experiencing those, as well?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, correct. I had labwork checked 4-6 months ago. I do not remember the exact date. I am experiencing all those symptoms and sleep disturbances. I thought I wasn't sleeping because I am a first time mom, and I am so worried something can happen to the baby while I sleep, so I basically sleep with one eye open all night long. And, I wake up 2-3 x night to breast feed him. I am hoping to get this resolved tomorrow, but I am happy to know that you all do not soley base my symptoms to breast feeding like many others have.
    After six years of infertility and 2 miscarriages later , I am proud to say I am the happiest woman alive thanks to my son Giuseppe
    Nicole Marie

I am angry that anyone would suggest these signs of ill health are due to nursing your baby. On what science would they base such a claim?

Good question. My OBGYN and PCP told me that these are side effects from breastfeeding. Some hair stylists say they have seen the same thing, breast feeding women lose a lot of hair. They made it seem as though the weight loss is a good thing which would be if I were feeling good. And hair loss is never a good thing.
    Nicole Marie

I agree, I would NOT attribute these symptoms to breastfeeding. I'm also a working/breastfeeding/pumping mother. I am usually a bit thinner than usual when I am breastfeeding but not 40 pounds under my baseline weight. And yes, it's common to feel tired, but not run down all the time. Or the bald patches. It could be thyroid or it could be something else but either way you need an evaluation - don't let the doctor tell you everything is fine and it's all because you are a breastfeeding mother!

Thank you, now I know to push for some more testing. Hoping all is ok and this will resolve soon, but better to be safe then sorry.
    Nicole Marie