Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding & PUMPING

Default Breastfeeding & PUMPING

Hello mothers. I have a 10 month old son who I breast feed as much as possible. He loves breastmilk over table food. I work two days a week and on those days I am pumping. I pump twice at work at 15 minute intervals. My husband watches our son on the two days I work and he gives the baby my defrosted breastmilk in a bottle. I am drinking MOTHERS MILK TEA and I take FENUGREEK sporadically to help maintain or boost my supply. When I pump, I only pump 2-3 oz max each breast . I have read that other moms can pump many more oz then I can and I want to know the secret! Please help me pump more milk so I can increase my frozen supply. Thank you all!

Default Re: Breastfeeding & PUMPING

Hi mama, welcome to the forum. The maximum amount of milk a mother pumps on a single occasion is largely determined by her storage capacity, which varies from mother to mother. Here is an article from Nancy Mohrbacher for more information: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...ursing-mothers. Basically it is the amount of milk your breasts will make before they receive the signal to stop making milk. If you are pumping 4-6 ounces total in a sitting (am I understanding that correctly? 2-3 oz from each breast?) that is actually a LOT! There are mothers out there who have even larger storage capacities, but also moms who have smaller. There isn't anything you can do to change your storage capacity - you basically have to work with what you've got. A mother with a smaller storage capacity will have to pump more frequently to get the same total amount of milk, whereas one with a larger capacity can get by with fewer sessions. If you are working full days, two pumps in the day is actually on the low side - three sessions is average, some mothers do four and have to pump outside of work hours too to get enough. How many hours are you apart from baby? Typically baby will require 1 - 1.5 ounces of milk per hour apart. So if you are apart for 10 hours, between 10 and 15 ounces. If you are not meeting baby's needs, I would suggest adding an additional pumping session as a way to get more milk. And/or increase the length of your pumping sessions - again 15 minutes is a bit on the shorter side. But you may get more yield from an additional session than from longer sessions.

Also, totally normal for a ten month old to prefer breastmilk over table food. Before one breastmilk makes up the primary nutrition, table food is to learn about tastes and textures and for baby to learn to feed himself. At a year, solid food starts to become more important, but many babies still continue to love breastmilk over table food well into their second year!

It's wonderful that you have breastfed your son for 10 months. Many mothers stop pumping around a year and continue to nurse baby when they are together. So really you are very close! Also I'll mention that some mothers do find they have to work a bit harder at pumping toward the end of the first year to get all the milk they need. So don't feel like there is something wrong with you if you have to add in a third session. You are doing great! Keep up the good work!

Wow! Thank you so much what a wonderful reply! So informative and you helped me understand much easier. I totally appreciate your time and information. I will try and add a third pumping session. I work 8 hours and live 5 minutes a way, so we are apart for about 8 hours and 10-15 minutes. My husband usually feeds the baby anywhere from 4 oz to 7 oz a feeding which is around every 3 hours. Some days he is hungrier then others and those are the days that I want to make sure I have enough frozen milk stored. I guess I will also go back to pumping around 2 am and 4 am but I will do whatever it takes! Thank you!

Add another pump session during the day if you like but it seems terribly hard and almost certainly unnecessary for you to get up and pump at night! If you totally exhaust yourself you may be harming your health. All mothers and especially moms who work outside the home are tired, but you want to avoid truly overdoing it.

I would also suggest dad may be overfeeding baby when bottle feeding. -this is very very common. Even if baby gets no other foods, Your baby would only need 8-12 ounces total during 8 hours of separation assuming baby cue nurses when you are home. Dad can also offer more solids on the days you are not home if you like.
    here are ways to make bottle feeding more like breastfeeding, it might help reduce overfeeding and waste.

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Thanks again, my son normally still wakes up for night time feedings , so I will already be awake, it'll just be for a tad bit longer. I am already so wiped out I don't think it can get any worse I will check how many oz my husband used today to feed him to make sure we are not over feeding him to think it get's easier as time goes on! It doesn't, but it's so worth it! Thanks for the link I am going to check it out now!

Most breast fed babies only take 3-4 ounces per feeding, maybe 5 if they are in a growth spurt. If your husband is regularly giving 7 ounce bottles that could be contributing to the feeling of not having enough. Here's a great article about how to bottle feed a breastfed baby that might help him pace those feedings more naturally and save you some milk.

ETA: Ha! I just saw Meg posted the same article. nevermind.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

By all means nurse your baby at night. That is normal and fine. But I think pumping as well is overburdening you. Please check out the link still.here and I posted and consider if baby is being overfed with bottles.

If you cannot still cannot express enough milk to leave with your husband after adjusting how baby is fed and by pumping more often at work, what about the pumping a little (like once) on your day off?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; September 10th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.

Hi, just an update =) I gave my husband the handout you linked to me and we are working on feeding the baby when he is hungry and not on a schedule. My husband was feeding him every 3 hours before rather then when the baby was hungry and so far today he gave him a bottle with 4 oz and will give him more if the baby shows he wants more. I also started fenugreek again and noticed a difference. I also need to replace a part on my pump, I noticed it has a crack. On my off days I pumped 1-2 times, wasn't a lot, but it was something. =) Thanks again for all your help.
    Last edited by @llli*Giuseppesmom; September 12th, 2013 at 10:14 AM.

That's good! Thanks for the update!