Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing Strike & Clogged Ducts

Default Nursing Strike & Clogged Ducts

My 9.5 month old daughter is teething and going through a nursing strike. Every time since Monday morning when I have tried to nurse her she bites. I think I might have scared her and now she doesn't want to nurse. She refuses. I have tried to tell her no biting and stop the nursing session (not that it ever starts because she doesn't latch on anymore), or give her a teething toy and tell her this is for biting not mama.

Because of this I have been giving her bottles instead in the middle of the night and while I am away at work. I pump in the morning before going to work, then 2 times at work and one to two times at night before going to bed. I am only getting about 3oz at a time out when I pump for 20 to 30 minutes at a time.

Now my breasts are hurting. Last night at 4am after giving her a bottle I hand expressed and used a warm washcloth on my breasts because I had like what felt like 3 or 4 clogged ducts. They were very hard spots and painful>

I pumped again this morning and got 5oz total but they are still very sensitive. Every time I pump they hurt, the nipples hurt (I have used the cream), my breasts hurt higher up.

I am afraid of what to do if I can't get her nursing again. THe pump is obviously not doing it's job like she would, and everything I read says to increase nursing sessions which I can't do.

At this point I am thinking of giving up nursing all together and pump and supplement with formula for 2.5 months until she is a year and can go to cows milk.

I need some advice!

Default Re: Nursing Strike & Clogged Ducts

what about dreamfeeds/feeding while sleeping, during a shower/warm baths

I am having a similar problem but my baby will still nurse some of the time. I had my first clogged duct last weekend and it sucked. I've been using dreamfeeding as a way to get in more nursing sessions. Could you try that? I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. I would recommend you continue to try nursing and pumping if you do want to continue BFing. Good luck!

Here are some suggestions from kelly mom about getting baby back to breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Yes, you're right, definitely important to try to get your breasts emptied as well as possible. I would suggest increasing frequency of pumping until you can get baby nursing again - five or six times is not that often, compared to a baby nursing. Have you tried breast compressions while pumping? ie, massage your breast while pumping - you may have to pump one side at a time to do this.

Here are some more suggestions on plugged ducts: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf
    and http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

Some moms have success using a massager or an electric toothbrush to break up the plugs.

What is dreamfeeds? When I get up at 3am with her she is pretty sleepy and I tried feeding her then thinking she won't bite me. but she does. Each and every time I try to nurse her she goes to bite me. She doesn't even get the latch. I even tried making sure her mouth was wide open, like I did when she was an infant and she just got more agitated about it and cried - she isn't a crier at all.

I do massages and I did that more today and they seemed to break up a bit. I have 2 on the right side that are still a little full but definitely better. after posting this I got 6oz (3 on each side) out and that's the most I have gotten in months.

As for the shower or warm bath, you suggest nursing her during that?

Yes, you can try that! I've had a bunch of plugged ducts and different strategies seemed to work at different times, as suggested in the links. I have tried nursing baby in the shower but she was too distracted by the shower to nurse. However I've definitely seen that suggestion on here from other moms. I've also done shower first with massage, then nursing (or in your case if baby is still refusing, pumping). Putting a hot washcloth on, then nursing. Olive oil on the nipple to loosen up a bleb. Gravity nursing (getting on all fours and letting the breast dangle into baby's mouth). One mother on here swears by lying in a very hot bath face down and massaging. Another used an electric toothbrush, another a hand-held massager. Also an ultrasound probe but that is not accessible at home. You may have to try different strategies to see what will loosen things up.

As for getting baby to nurse, I think being very casual and nonchalant can help. Not forcing this issue. If she bites, don't make a big deal, just end the nursing session and try again later. Yes, in general you want to say "no biting" and make baby understand, but with nursing refusal I think it may be better to be cool about it. Sometimes excessive reaction to biting can lead to a strike. Then once she's consistently nursing again, if she bites, then be clear about the no biting. It's hard because you want to train her not to bite, but on the other hand you don't want her to have such a negative reaction that she doesn't nurse! So you have to balance those things.

Sometimes nursing in the tub can also be a way to get a striking baby back to the breast. There's something about being immersed in water that facilitates nursing - maybe somehow it reminds baby of the comfort of the womb? I know when I've taken baths with my babies when they've been older, they always seem attracted to the breast at that time.

yes,
    try having a bath with your baby or lying in the tub with her, she may spontaneously want to nurse.Another trick is to just spend some time playing on the bed with her, let her have easy access to you for feeding she may try to latch on playfully, change of positions like sidelying besides her.you could also try the instant reward technique like gently squirting some milk in her mouth playfully.The thing is that it should not look like an attempt to feed her, rather some fun thing u r doing with her.Also try feeding her in new places other than those u are feeding in.In a new place initially let her settle down soak up the new atmosphere see the new sights then try casually offering her to nurse

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice. I went home last Thursday and just laid skin to skin with her and didn't push nursing, we just laid and took a mini nap. After bath I did the same thing, but squirted milk in her mouth and she nursed for 30 minutes. It felt wonderful. Since then she is back to nursing, my ducts are no longer clogged . I keep a teething toy next to me in case she bites, I remind her not to bit and give her sophie to chew on. IF she bites me when she isn't nursing I take her out of my arms and put her on the floor away from me. We are nursing great now and had 3 full days of nursing with no bottles and I know that helped as well.

THanks again!

Awesome! That's wonderful news. Thanks for the update!

Thats great! My son started biting me as well, but I gently push his cheecks in to unlatch and politely say no biting and remove the breast for a few seconds and he has learned and hasn't bitten me for a while (knock on wood)