Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: decrease in pumping breast milk

Default decrease in pumping breast milk

hello,
    I have 10 mo old daughter. recently she went on a one day nursing strike, but she is back to normal now (occured 2 days ago). she gets 100% breast milk (no formula), and solids. solids is 3 times a day.
    she is teething
    I work part time. while at work I pump once (in a 6 hr shift).
    she nurses 5 times a day
    last 2 days when I pumped at work I only got 1/2 ounce (vs. the normal 3 oz).
    should I be concerned? should I take fenugek?

what do you think?

Default Re: decrease in pumping breast milk

Hi mama, lots of moms hit a "pump slump" in the later part of the first year. It sounds like you've been getting away with relatively little pumping while at work - a lot of moms would pump at least twice in a 6 hour shift. Is it possible to add another pumping session in? And your overall amount of nursing/pumping per 24 hours is quite low - 6 times total as a I understand. Most babies will nurse at least 8 times per 24 hours. So you are getting less stimulation than would be typical, meaning that your breasts are not getting the message to make as much milk. In addition to adding in another pumping session, could you work in another nursing session or two when you and baby are together? Does baby sleep a long stretch at night? That can lead to decreased supply as well.

You also want to consider whether your pump might be having any problems. A simple thing to do is to change replaceable parts like membranes and valves. Sometimes even if they look fine they may be worn down. Some mothers change them every couple months on a routine basis, but certainly if you are noticing a decrease in output that would be something to try.

Have you gotten your period back yet? Sometimes supply can drop in the days leading up to your period. Any new birth control, particularly hormonal? Any chance you could be pregnant? Other new medications, including over-the-counter?

That has happened to me. I work 8 hours and pump twice, 15 minutes each, which some say is enough and others say isn't. I normally get 2.5-3 oz each breast and sometimes when I am over tired, or stressed I pump less. Also, my machine is a little cracked in one of the breast cups so it doesn't suck as strong (I am going to replace it) but I drink MOTHERS MILK TEA and take FENUGREEK and I immediately see a difference. I work twice a week so I am breastfeeding constantly on the other days which helps tremendously and my son still wakes 2-3 times a night to feed. He is now 10 months old.

hi,
    thanks for the response. I havent gotten my period yet. Im not pregnant that Im aware of and not on birth control. I wont be able to pump more that I already do unfort'. My baby wake once in the night to nurse (which I thought was too many times! ha!) I was planning to nurse until 12months. I will try replacing some of those parts and try fenugek. I pumped today and got back up to 2.5-3 oz. I thought 6 times in a day was enough..! wow...!! ok... If I try to have her nurse more frequently than I do now (usually every 3 hrs) she would scream and not be interested.

That's good your pump output has gone back up again! The key is just to offer frequently, if she doesn't want it, she'll refuse and that's fine, but some babies are laid back and won't "ask" to nurse, so you want to make sure you're not underfeeding just because you're not offering frequently.

yeah, its rare that she asks to nurse b/c I've always offered b4 she becomes fussy. and now especially since she's moving around I try to offer b/c she's too busy to nurse. But I'll take your advice and offer more frequently and see what happens. I also wonder since she's getting solids that her intake has decreased as well--altho' I've heard it doesn't....
    thanks for the help!!

Well, I think in certain situations a 10 month old who is really enthusiastic about solids can start to cut back on nursing. But you don't want that to happen TOO much, since breastmilk is the most nutritious food for a baby! And that's great that you've always offered before she becomes fussy.