Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple confusion

Default Nipple confusion

My baby is 12 days old. He weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces. He dropped to 5 pounds 13 ounces and the doctor was concerned. My milk has come in but I was fearing that it didn't have enough nutrients or there wasn't enough because he wasn't gaining weight. I was giving him a bottle or two of Enfimil at night to help him gain back his weight. It worked, he's now 6 pounds 3 ounces, but now has nipple confusion. He will latch and take a few sips but then stops. I rub the bottom of his chin to get him going again but it doesn't work. When I take him off he cries and is still hungry. I'm so upset with myself for giving him formula. Is there any way to get him back to breast feeding? Please help.

Default Re: Nipple confusion

Dear Camielle, of course you can get your baby back to breastfeeding. it is very early days yet. Some babies take many weeks to nurse.

Please do not blame yourself for following your doctors advice or supplementing when you were concerned about weight gain. If your baby needed supplements, it was appropriate to supplement. If it was not needed, that is now water under the bridge. Yes bottles cause issues in the early days but in most cases babies can learn to nurse just fine despite getting early bottles.

Also, please do not doubt the nutritional content of your milk. If a baby is not gaining well, if it has anything to do with breastfeeding (and babies do not gain well or appear to not gain well for other reasons) but if it does have to do with nursing, it is due to baby not getting ENOUGH milk for some reason. Your milk is the perfect food for your baby and the only reason to ever supplement with anything else is if you do not make enough milk. And that is an unusual situation.

Ok I have some questions and then I am going to link three articles. One is about what is normal with a breastfed newborn so you will know how you can tell if your baby is getting enough milk and not get derailed by normal behavior. The next has many suggestions for encouraging a reluctant nurser. The last is about what to do if your baby is not latching and nursing at all.

1) How many times a day does baby nurse? Is this on cue, or do you need to wake baby to nurse?
    2) Are you limiting the length or frequency of nursing sessions in any way?
    3) How many times a day does baby poop?
    4) Is nursing comfortable for you?
    5) Are you still supplementing, how much (how many ounces) and how often, and do you pump or hand express your milk to offset the supplementing?

6)
    When I take him off he cries and is still hungry.
    And what do you do at this point? Try to get baby to latch again, comfort baby another way and try a little later, give a bottle?

Articles:
    What is normal early weeks: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/
    Help my baby won't nurse: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Feeding the non-latching baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ching_baby.pdf

Default Re: Nipple confusion

with LLLMeg. Please don't feel upset for giving your baby formula- if supplements were necessary, then they were necessary! My first baby was born 6 lbs, 7 oz, and I still remember how very small and fragile that felt. Also, please don't feel like breastfeeding won't happen for you because of early difficulties- lots of moms (including me) have had similar issues and gone on to nurse very successfully.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"