Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cutting out day pumping & goat's milk or cow's milk?

Default cutting out day pumping & goat's milk or cow's milk?

Hi ladies,

First off, I wish I had discovered this board when I was struggling with breastfeeding a newborn, latch issues, and mastitis.
    Luckily I made it through all of that and my little one is now 19 months. On days that I'm not working she normally nurses 3 times/day: in the morning, before her nap, and before bed. Monday-Friday I nurse in the morning and then pump once during the day at work so that she can have milk for her nap the next day with our nanny. I'm thinking about cutting out the day time pump session. Have any of you been in this situation? What did you have your childcare give your child during the day? I've read that goat's milk is closer to human milk than cow's but there really isn't much information out there.

Default Re: cutting out day pumping & goat's milk or cow's milk?

Hi mama, welcome to the forum.
    The rule of thumb is that if LO is nursing 3-5 times per 24 hours, you don't have to add additional dairy. So if you like, you could add in another nursing session on your workdays - for example, right when you get home - and give water during the day while you're at work. Or, you could substitute either goat's milk or cow's milk, according to preference. Or, other sources of dairy like cheese or yogurt. My 18 month old sometimes drinks cow's milk when I'm at work but is not super enthusiastic about it, loves cheese and yogurt, and nurses enough that I don't worry about it!

with all the above.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Hi mama, welcome to the forum.
    The rule of thumb is that if LO is nursing 3-5 times per 24 hours, you don't have to add additional dairy. So if you like, you could add in another nursing session on your workdays - for example, right when you get home - and give water during the day while you're at work. Or, you could substitute either goat's milk or cow's milk, according to preference. Or, other sources of dairy like cheese or yogurt. My 18 month old sometimes drinks cow's milk when I'm at work but is not super enthusiastic about it, loves cheese and yogurt, and nurses enough that I don't worry about it!
    Thanks for the info. I'm thinking replacing the nap bottle with cow's milk which would cut nursing down to only 2 times per day. I just have to get over my mommy guilt.

Guilt?? You've pumped for 19 months and you feel guilty? It's wonderful that you've nursed this long, and that you're going to continue nursing! I think your plan for the naptime cow's milk sounds fine.