Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4.5 m.o. cycling through multiple letdowns while sleeping.

Default 4.5 m.o. cycling through multiple letdowns while sleeping.

Anything wrong with having 4.5 m.o. cycle through multiple letdown s while napping? Sometimes I get engrossed with a crossword, magazine, or LLLI.org ;-) and don't notice babe still on my breast until he triggers another letdown. Since sitting here, he has triggered 3 which startle him awake for a second and then he eats and falls asleep again. Is this not wise and I should take him off the breast when not actively eating? He is not nursing for comfort, my nipple is just resting in his mouth.

Default Re: 4.5 m.o. cycling through multiple letdowns while sleepin

Thats a good question actually. I am curious about the answer. This happens to my son as well, he is 10 months old. He doesn't fall into a deep nap because he still suckles here and there every few seconds, but he also triggers multiple let downs and seems to be happy each time more milk is coming down and just chugs away

I always figured the more they eat the better! Ds really disliked letting go of the nipple while napping for the first 6 mo or so anyway but rolled away on his own most of the time after that. He still rolls back to nurse two or three times a nap even at two years.

Nothing wrong with it. Continue if nursing through a nap doesn't bother you. If it does, you can try to stop it- no guarantees that you'll be able to, though.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I forgot to mention he's been spitting up after these nursing/napping sessions, so I'm wondering if I'm "overfeeding" him.

You can't overfeed a breastfed baby. The baby is in charge of the feeding, not you. If he's not hungry, he won't eat. He'll either pull off the breast, or let the milk dribble out of his mouth, or he'll figure out how to nurse in such a way that he doesn't stimulate a letdown.

Spitting up doesn't happen because the baby ate too much. It's just a function of the relatively weak muscle tone in the sphincters responsible for holding stomach contents down. Treat spit-up as a laundry problem, not a feeding problem (unless is occurs with evidence of pain and distress, and/or poor weight gain).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok !

My DD was getting a little startled and even choking sometimes during those sleepy letdowns, so when I feel a letdown coming, I rub her a bit to get her to stir before it comes. Seems to help us.

My 6.5 month old does this also. We call it surprise milk. LOL I think for us since I work and have to be away for 10 hr four days a week nursing during naps/cosleeping has help me keep my supply up.
    First time momma to one amazing baby girl 2/28/2013
    Natural non medicated hospital birth

We also practice EC