Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could suppressed sensation be the reason??

Default Could suppressed sensation be the reason??

I'm attempting to BF my 3rd (of 4) children. I had a breast reduction 15 years ago so I wasn't sure I'd be able to with my first until it was too late. I have had supply issues with all 3 that I've BF'd and had to supplement with all them, making only a few (5-10 oz) a day. My current nurser will be 4 weeks tomorrow and thankfully, I've only resorted to formula for 6 oz a day. However, he is getting more fussy, and nursing "literally" every 15 minutes. I've always done switch feeding, but I'm wondering now if that may be my downfall. My one nipple has very little (almost none) feeling and I can't seem to prompt a let-down from that side. Should I maybe nurse on the "good" breast only and pump the other after let-down starts? I really would love to BF exclusively! Thank you in advance!

ETA: I also get much less milk from the same breast as the decreased sensitivity (maybe 1/4 oz). And while baby's wet/soiled diapers are adequate, he has just yesterday gotten back to birthweight...
    Last edited by @llli*so-blessed; September 9th, 2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: forgot additional information

Default Re: Could suppressed sensation be the reason??

My one nipple has very little (almost none) feeling and I can't seem to prompt a let-down from that side. Should I maybe nurse on the "good" breast only and pump the other after let-down starts?
    What about, instead of pumping, nurse on the side with sensation and then switch to the other after let down, and then after a bit, switch back to the side with sensation to see if that triggers another letdown, then back to the non-sensation side after letdown...does that make sense? There is nothing wrong with your pumping idea except it seems awkward and would (I suspect) end up limiting time at the breast and cut down on your enjoyment and relaxation while nursing. And that is a big deal.

What about galactagoges? I know fennel is used specifically for letdown issues but do not any know more about it. I assume you have the book The Breastfeeding Mothers Guide to Making More Milk? It is co-written by Diana West, author of Defining Your Own Success: Breastfeeding After Breast Reduction Surgery. They also have a website http://bfar.org/index.shtml
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; September 9th, 2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: whoops wrong website link

I started taking fenugreek (3 610mg pills 3 times a day) 5 days ago and haven't seen any change. I tried mother's milk tea, reglan, and beer with my others with no results, either... :/ that's a great idea to try alternating that way, thanks. I can't believe I didn't think of that! Lol! As for let-down, in general, I don't have an issue except for the one breast. I have not read the book, but I have done tons of research on BFAR. I hadn't come across anything addressing the numbness problem. Thanks again!

Have you ever consulted with an IBCLC? I wonder if you could write to Diana personally about the numbness. I would suggest, check out those books, you should be able to get one or both at the library or your local lll if you don't want to buy ithem. I have no idea if numbness is addressed in either-both are currently checked out of my Group library right now so I can't look it up.