Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Normal Postpartum Hair Loss Prolonged by BFing?

Default Normal Postpartum Hair Loss Prolonged by BFing?

I know that hair loss postpartum is normal. My baby is 9 months and I am still losing hair like crazy. My ponytail is seriously deflated with all the missing strands. I don't remember this type of hair loss with my first child, but she also didn't nurse as well or as long as my son. Does breastfeeding prolong the hair loss phase at all, or do I need to visit my doctor to check and see if something else is wrong?

Thank you for weighing in!

Default Re: Normal Postpartum Hair Loss Prolonged by BFing?

9 months sounds long to me. I definitely did not shed for that long with my three EBF babies! I don't know how much variation there is, though. I'll be interested to see what the forum experience is!

I am almost ten months postpartum, and still shedding at a bit higher than my baseline rate. I was shedding very heavily up to month six. My doctor said shedding was considered pretty normal throughout the first year, though I've never actually bothered to look into the research on this subject myself!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

IMO, see your doctor. Although it's conceivable that the hair loss is just part of the normal postpartum shedding, postpartum thyroiditis is really common (affecting approximately 5% of women) and can cause hair loss. And IMO, any symptoms of thyroid dysfunction should be taken seriously in the postpartum year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I will say that I personally have had a thyroid panel done twice PP, at six weeks and six months, and both were normal. I would definitely get checked for that if you haven't, though.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Mine just started to slow down around 6 months. I havent spoken to my dr about it but my hairdresser said he usually sees until about 6 months and then it usually drops off. Might not be something everyone talks to their dr about but they definitely would be telling their stylist
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Hair appears to fall out postpartum because during pregnancy, your hair stops falling out at the normal rate. So past partum hair loss is actually hair thickness getting back to normal.

I am still noticeably losing hair from the pregnancy 'overgrowth' or ‘overthickening’ and my baby is 13 months old. At least, there is lots of hair when I shower or brush. I also have a deflating ponytail! But I am not noticing my hair looking thin. Thinner than at the end of my pregnancy and the first few months postpartum, of course, because it was thicker than normal then. I cannot remember when I was done 'shedding' with my older two, but this time I have much longer hair so it is more noticible to me.

If you are concerned you have a nutritional deficiency or something else causing abnormal hair loss, by all means, get tested. But breastfeeding is not going to cause abnormal hair loss. Because breastfeeding, even breastfeeding for years, is 100% normal.

Thanks ladies. I guess I will head back to my doctor. I had a thyroid scan and blood test at 4 mo postpartum. The hormone levels were supposedly normal but the thyroid was slightly enlarged. I will ask for a repeat test because not only am I losing a lot of hair, the strands have become very fine and limp. If the repeat test is normal, it is good to hear that many of you have experienced some longer periods of shedding. I appreciate the insight.

Definitely push for the repeat test. Your thyroid can do some crazy stuff in the postpartum year!!! My doc would not have picked it up except that I insisted on a test.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi, I am 10 months post partum and still breast feed my son. My hair loss is extreme and scary. I have seen the doctor who did all the blood tests which came back normal. I have had many bald patches on my head from time to time. My pillow case is covered in the morning with my hair loss. I am not exageratting, but there are times where I look like I have an illness from the balding on my head. My doctors continue to tell me it's normal and it's because I am breastfeeding. You are not alone! But, as long as my baby is getting the best nutrition then I have learned to deal with it for as long as need be.