Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk drying up at 20 months?

Default Milk drying up at 20 months?

Hi mamas!!
    I'm so sad! Really need help!
    My son still loves to nurse, but my milk seems to be drying up month by month... The frequency of breastfeeding is the same, I didn't change anything on my diet... I really don't know why this is happening...
    My cycle returned in january, 13 months pos partum, but since 18 months I've been struggling with very low milk supply about 2 weeks before period... But this time my period came, stopped yesterday and my supply didn't improve!
    I really don't know what else could I do... I'm drinking lots of liquids, fennel tea, eating oats, nursing many times/day, scheduled an appointment with OB/GY...
    Could you mamas help me??
    Thank you for your attention

Default Re: Milk drying up at 20 months?

Hey mama, how are you evaluating your supply? The feel of the breast, the way your child acts, by how much you can pump?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm wondering the same.
    Also, any chance that you are pregnant?

I know he's not getting enough because of less wet diaper, no swallowing sound (usually I can hear and even count how many swalllows he does), he is biting my breast, trying to nurse all the time....
    I just had my period until yesterday, and I had a huge amount this time, so probably I'm not pregnant...
    That's só frustrating... I already cried a lot for not been able to give the milk like before...
    I have an Appointment with GY this wed, I will ask for some hormones test...
    But if you mamas know about something else, please help me!!
    Thank you for the reply!!

I meant beating, not biting

At 20 months, your LO is probably eating a lot of solids, right? I'm thinking that what you're experiencing is probably just the normal decrease in milk supply as the baby's solids intake picks up and his nursing starts to slack off a bit. He may be feeding frequently, but not feeding for as long or as efficiently as he did when he was younger. That can be frustrating for some kids- they want the milk, but they don't necessarily want to work really hard for it.

Just try to keep in mind that at 20 months, nursing isn't necessarily all about the amount of milk- it's also about the cuddling and reassurance and connection your toddler feels when he nurses. Even if he's nursing dry, those things stay important.

That being said, I think it's a great idea to talk to your doc and get your levels checked.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

also, it's normal for toddlers to get much better bladder control, and to therefore have many fewer wet diapers (though the ones they have will be big).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Oh mommal!! You said everything! He's doing exactly what you described! He nurses frequently, but not as long as before! He already eats a lot of healthy foods such as greens, wolfe foods, vegetables, fruits, but he's always on 5-10 percentile... That is always concerning me, but I guess It's just his metabolism, because I was very thin when younger And he never gets sick, wich reforce me that he Has wonderful health
    But I came here because I guess it's the only place where mamas really understand the feelings of other mama that LOVES to breastfeed her child and can really suffer when think her milk is not enough...
    Reading that now nursing isn't necessary all about the amount of milk, but also about the cuddling and connection my son feels when nursing, was SO conforting!!
    Thank you só very much!!

Hi Alderey!
    Thank you só much for your reply! That's true, they have much better bladder control, but I could see a decrease not in The number of wet diapers, but in The quantity/day
    But I live in Brazil and these days are very warm here! Maybe that's also a reason