Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car travel, Car charger and milk storage

Default Car travel, Car charger and milk storage

Hi.
    I have to go to a funeral tomorrow. We're driving so I bought the car charger for the Symphony Medela pump. Has anyone ever used that car charger before?

Once I pump, I'm planning on putting the bottles into a cooler with ice packs. The milk "should" be ok for a few hours, right?

Thanks!

Default Re: Car travel, Car charger and milk storage

The milk will be okay. Up to 24 hours in a cooler with ice packs is fine! Sorry about the funeral. I just had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago--my milk was 100% okay in the cooler in the car.

Thank you!! Have you ever used the symphony charger in the car?

I have not. I own a Freestyle, so I always use that when in the car, or stuck somewhere without an outlet.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I'd go ahead and try it out. I used the car charger with a PIS before and it was fine, though. I just wouldn't want you to have a surprise and stress you out. I brought my Freestyle in the car to pump to and from an appt and I hadn't used it for 2 yrs. Well, the membranes were worn out and I couldn't do anything with it. I'm so glad it wasn't my first day of work or another time I would have really needed it or I would have been in a panic. I ended up hand expressing just a bit but replaced the membranes and now all is well.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

well, as an update. the car charger actually did not work. It may be defective. So instead, I ran into a kinder care facility and begged them to use an outlet and pumped. Then I realized the pump parts weren't as clean as they should be and I wanted to separate out what i had pumped. Which was fine, until I got home and made the bottles and realized I didn't separate out that milk and now I'm convinced I'll be poisoning my girls with bad milk. Yes. That kind of day.
    So, what should I do about the milk?

How dirty were they? I doubt they would be poisoned...breastmilk is pretty durable/antibacterial.

Not dirty but just grimy. Make sense? I took wet paper towels and wiped them out before I pumped but I had no choice but to use them.

Like, dried milk grimy? I honestly don't think I'd worry if that was all it was. How long had it been since you had used them?

dried milk grimy. I used them Wednesday at the office and totally forgot about cleaning them this weekend. So less than a week. Ugh.