Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning domperidone

Default Weaning domperidone

My son turns 1 on Sept 25 and I've been on domperidone since he was a few weeks old. Currently we nurse mornings, evenings and once overnight and during the day on weekends. I pump once at work (currently weaning from the pump with his birthday as an end date).

I am currently taking 30 mg three times a day. I still have some engorgement if he STTN or I'm late home from work or am late to pump. I take this to mean that I am likely still overproducing.

I feel like I will likely have to wean at least some of my dom especially once I stop pumping at work. I haven't had issues with plugged ducts until a couple weeks ago when we had a nursing strike due to teething.

Can anyone share their experience with weaning dom? How old was your little one? What was your dose? How did you wean it? Did it affect your supply dramatically? Has anyone only weaning the dom after their LO weaned? I'd like my son to self wean but I'm not sure what to do about the dom.

Thanks!

Default Re: Weaning domperidone

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-DS from Dr. Jack Newman's site. He's a Canadian MD breastfeeding expert. Dom is harder to get in the U.S. and I would trust his advice.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thank you so much for the info! I had forgotten about Dr. Newman. I sent him an email asking him what he suggests. I hope I hear back from him.

Did you read his document? I am guessing you're good to start weaning since you have extra milk and your baby is older.

Dr. Newman suggested I just stay on the domperidone until my son weans. He thinks if it drops my supply my son will wean. I think I am going to have to cut back at least so I don't get clogged ducts when I am only nursing 3-4 times a day when I'm working.

Interesting. I think I read not everyone needs it the entire time they nurse but I guess you don't want your son to wean early, either. My daughter nursed for over a year after there was very little milk from repeat miscarriages.