Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual pump reviews / recommendations?

Default Manual pump reviews / recommendations?

I'm thinking about getting a manual pump for occasional pumping. These are the 3 that I am looking at:

Medela Harmony
    Philips Avent manual pump
    Lansinoh Manual pump

Has anyone used any of these? Any recommendations? Or, anyone know of anyplace (such as an old Forum thread) that has recommendations / reviews of any of these?

I am just looking for a pump to use maybe a couple times a week to build a milk stash. For eg. so I can go to doctor's clinic and leave baby with Dad at home away from all the germs

Thanks in advance,
    Nat

Default Re: Manual pump reviews / recommendations?

Do you already have your baby? If so, what do you think of hand expressing?

I haven't used any of those pumps but I do have a manual pump and I hate it (I think possibly the shield is too large for my breasts - I find that it leaks a lot of milk, makes a squeaky noise and tires my hand). I spent the equivalent of $100 US on it and then really regretted it as I end up just hand-expressing when I want to put some milk in a bottle. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you hadn't considered that option, before spending money on a manual pump that you may hate.

I leave my electric pump at work and have a Lanisoh at home for the odd situation that pops up. I've been very happy with it, but I'm also very happy to have my electric for my day-to-day pumping needs as my hand did get tired pretty fast!

I used an Avent manual pump and was very happy with it. Was able to comfortably pump a 3-4 oz bottle in about 15 minutes and just put the lid on it to store. I kept 2 or 3 of them in the freezer for convenience. It was a little bit squeaky and leaky, but not too bad. Using it was a bit of a learning curve, first couple of tries I could only pump about 1/2 oz.

I just bought a manual pump by The Early Years for returning to work (LO is 12.5 months). It was literally the cheapest pump I could find -$25 at walmart- and so far, it works well for me. I really only need it for a bit of relief while apart from DD, and I can easily get 2-3 oz in less than 10 minutes.

I leave my electric pump at work and have a Lanisoh at home for the odd situation that pops up. I've been very happy with it, but I'm also very happy to have my electric for my day-to-day pumping needs as my hand did get tired pretty fast!
    I hear that! I'm not going back to work yet so just need something for now and then. I had a difficult birth and had been pumping every day so my husband could take some of the night feedings, and I had rented a hospital grade pump for that - the medela symphony, excellent. But the rental is expensive, and it's more pump than I need now that I'm not pumping regularly.
    Last edited by @llli*natnat; September 7th, 2013 at 05:00 PM.

Do you already have your baby? If so, what do you think of hand expressing?
    Yes, he's 2 months old! I can hand-express, but it kind of hurts my boobies after a while, maybe I'm pressing too hard? It's also messy compared to an electric pump and I assume to manual pumping. It's hard to express direct into a bottle.

Which manual pump do you have? I would really like to know which one you've found to be not as good as hand expressing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nathansmum View Post
    I used an Avent manual pump and was very happy with it.
    Thank you!

The hospital gave me a medala after ds was born. I can't remember having problems like leaking with it. It worked well enough just took some effort. I'd feel comfortable recommending it for an every now and then pumping need. I wish my dog hadn't chewed mine to bits

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    The hospital gave me a medala after ds was born. I can't remember having problems like leaking with it. It worked well enough just took some effort. I'd feel comfortable recommending it for an every now and then pumping need. I wish my dog hadn't chewed mine to bits
    Thank you for the recommendation. Bad Doggie

Wondering if you found it hard to clean?