Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumped early on - is it milk or colostrum?

Default pumped early on - is it milk or colostrum?

hi! I have some frozen milk (colostrum?) from when my baby was 5 days old. He is now about 5 weeks. I'm concerned that it's colostrum or something only appropriate for a very young baby. Is this okay to give to him now? It does seem yellow instead of white. I had been getting about 3oz from 15 mins of pumping, several times throughout the day.

Thank you!!

Default Re: pumped early on - is it milk or colostrum?

It's fine to give the milk to him now, or at any time. If your mature milk was "in" at 5 days postpartum, what you have frozen is likely "transitional milk", i.e. mature milk mixed with colostrum.

May I ask why you're pumping, and why you've been pumping since so very early on? Is everything going okay with nursing?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That milk is so nutritious! Absolutely healthy to give to a baby or toddler any time.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Great, thank you!! I was pumping that early because my baby was in the NICU and was being supplemented with formula and then pumped bottles. I wanted to make sure my milk came in and supply wasn't hurt in those early days. After he came home I stopped pumping and only recently started with one pumping session a day to build a freezer stash.

Thanks again!

Okay, great! Sometimes we get moms who have been pumping from very early on for no reason- I just wanted take sure you weren't among them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Definitely, thanks for your concern and your help!

I pumped in the hospital based on bad advice from a nurse and ended up with 4 ounces of what appeared to be colostrum. I froze it and didn't think of using it until I went back to work 3 months later. Sadly, I had a freezer malfunction so all that amazing milk went to waste. Sooo sad! I really wish my dd had gotten that directly from me in the hospital or at least from a bottle, but there's no going back. I say give your baby the milk now.

Many moms tandem nurse and in those cases the older sibling gets lots of colustrum!

So glad baby is home and doing so well!