Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler not eating

Default Toddler not eating

I posted already about issues feeding my DS in the discipline section since both me and him were getting extremely frustrated and stressed at mealtimes. In the past two weeks things have been getting worse. He is 18 months old.

Firstly he started at daycare two weeks ago. He only attends from 9am until 1pm and has lunch there. They let the kids self-feed and only help out when no food is being eaten. The first day at daycare we just left him for 2 hours so no lunch that day. The second day he had lunch and we were told that he ate everything himself with no problems but that evening he was up all night vomiting. He developed a slight rash and the doctor said it was a mild virus.

He returned to daycare on monday of this week. The problem is that since getting sick he is refusing to eat almost anything except fruit (banana and melon only), cheese and biscuits (baby biscuits fortified with vitamins and iron). He went for his scheduled 18 month checkup yesterday evening and he has lost almost 1kg in the past two weeks, down from 11.3 to 10.5kg. First thing every morning he goes straight to the kitchen cupboard and starts crying for biscuits. Last night he refused to eat any dinner (fish, peas, potatoes) and was crying looking for biscuits. I refused to give them to him and offered him milk and/or fruit which was all refused. He then woke up at 12am starving and drank 150mls of milk and ate a full banana. How can I convince him to eat? I don't want to resort to allowing him to replace all his meals with biscuits! He is now also refusing to eat lunch at the daycare. His diet for the past week has been cereals for breakfast (with milk), skipped lunch, bottle of milk, fruit, skipped dinner (replaced with cheese some evenings) and a few biscuits throughout the day.

Could the food refusal be related to the stomach bug he got?.....the transition to daycare?....general toddler stubbornness?

Default Re: Toddler not eating

My LO has times where she barely eats anything, then she gets really hungry and eats tons of food. Some weeks she'll only eat one or two things besides fruit (always eats fruit). We've been out to a restaurant and she'll love a food, but then she'll never eat that same food at our house. Toddlers seem to know what they want. I don't think you can convince him to eat. But if you're really worried about his eating too many biscuits, you could make them "all gone." But if he's sick and starting daycare, I think a little comfort food is okay. I know that when I'm sick -- like this past week -- I have a hard team eating my usual healthy foods. My stomach just can't handle broccoli and wants toast instead. Also, my LO started daycare a little over a month ago, and barely ate anything for the first two weeks while there. So it could be a combination of things. I don't think it will be a long-term issue.

I've also found that sometimes I'll offer my LO something, and she won't eat it. But then if I'm eating it, she'll want my portion. So you may have luck just eating some foods near him and seeing if he'll try them from your bowl or plate. I gave her a portion of soup the other day, she didn't want it. Then she had some of mine. Then she decided to have her own when mine was gone. See...they're silly!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

What would happen if you "ran out" of the biscuits? Sometimes toddlers are a little less stubborn if they feel like their preferred option is unavailable.

Tricks for getting a toddler to try dinner:
    - Make it a game. Have him feed you, transition to a game where you take one bite and he takes one bite, or where you are "too scared" to eat your food, so he has to show you how. Tell him that a piece of food is a gorilla, and it is scared of him because he is a big hungry lion, and then have him chase and catch the gorilla. (My kids love that last one.)
    - Make it cute. Instead of serving him a plate of food that looks just like yours, create a face or a picture with the food. Mashed potatoes for a face, olive for eyes, vegetable ears, etc.
    - Let him dip. A lot of kids love dipping foods into a container of sauce or dressing, and will eat foods the do not normally eat if allowed to do so.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The daycare transition may take some time. Based on your description it sounds like he's really only had a few days in the new daycare setting? When mine moved up into a new classroom, his eating was weird for about 2 weeks (and he was there almost every workday). The newness can be overwhelming. They might also be too busy with all the new fun things to see and explore that they don't want to slow down to eat. Maybe give it some time for him to adjust to his new routine, before you decide that there is a problem with his eating habits vis-a-vis his new daycare.

Mommal's suggestions are great. We play the "feed mommy" game a lot. He gives me a bite, then I give him a bite (or say "now you!" and he feeds himself a bite). The feed mommy game is also great for practicing thank-yous and praising his sharing. This also sometimes turns into the "mommy's too slow" game where he offers me a bite and then eats it himself (he thinks this is hilarious). Honestly this is the best way for me to get him to try something when his initial reaction is to refuse. And the dipping thing really well for us too. Plain chicken pieces = boring = floor food. Chicken that he gets to dip into a bowl of sauce = super fun!

We tried the feeding mommy and daddy game last night. He had great fun spooning pasta into daddy! He took about 10 spoons himself so at least he got something into him, although I think daddy got more! Also when collected from daycare yesterday he had a really stuffy nose which has progressed into a bad cold and cough. I suppose this could also have been affecting his appetite/taste. Not a good start that he is two weeks in day care and has gotten a stomach bug and now a cold. I'm also going to try the dip suggestion, I suspect that the food we cook is pretty boring due to lack of time and cooking abilities (DH frequently complains about it too!)

Did you get a chance to read my child won't eat? poor little guy is ill. Of course both a tummy bug and cold is very likely affecting his appetite. I strongly suggest stop worrying so much about how much your child eats. Offer a variety of foods in very small portions (he is little and can always have seconds if desired) and keep mealtimes relaxed and unpressured. He clearly can eat, so he will eat what he needs.

My older kids went back to school two weeks ago and we all got sick including my baby. It's a typical and very frustrating occurrence when starting day care/back to school.

Hi Podutti, I found a good webpage for you:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...-eater-17-tips

I was reading for ideas for jazzing up my kid's food, and thought of you