Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spinach leaves

Default Spinach leaves

My LO had a maple leaf in the back yard, holding it by the stem and picking off pieces of the leaf and eating them. Then, she grabbed a French fry from DH's plate and started to gnaw it. Ready for solids, I think.

What about letting her have a leaf of baby spinach, to munch like she tried to do the maple leaf?

5 mo, 3 weeks, sitting up well.
    a fussy nurser, my leprechaun Camille 3/17/13, when she refuses. Negotiating with DH to be a SAHM. Used NFP to postpone for 5 years and to conceive for 2 weeks.

Default Re: Spinach leaves

I think you're right that your LO is ready for solids. But unless you grew that spinach yourself or plan to cook it, I personally would choose something else as a starter food. Leaf crops- spinach, lettuce, etc.- have been associated with outbreaks of salmonella and other bacterial diseases. And this includes the organic stuff. It's a small risk, sure- but with such a young baby I'd err on the side of caution.

Interested to hear others' thoughts on this... Maybe I'm just being a nervous nelly.

ETA: More nervous Nellying- if the leaf your LO was eating was from a red maple (Acer rubrum), you probably don't want her to do that again, as the leaves are poisonous. Not in such a small quantity, but still...
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; September 5th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It was Acer rubrum, but dried, and I think I got it all out of her mouth. I didn't think about Salmonella. I know that's pretty much an issue with all raw fruits and veggies, but you're right about leafies being worse. Thanks.

Dried/wilted A. rubrum is actually supposed to be more toxic than fresh- at least to horses. Not that I think it's a problem for your LO- just FYI for anyone else who comes along!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"