Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Constant Nursing 22 Month Old

Default Re: Constant Nursing 22 Month Old

OK now I understand the numbers, thanks.

So those are my suggestions for encouraging less frequent nursing aka, starting the weaning process. Since you are still ok with nursing some of the time, there is no need to stand ALL day. You sit when you wish to nurse. I am suggesting this because not assuming the nursing position is a well known and effective weaning technique passed down for many generations- as are the other ideas above and in the articles and books suggested. These are just suggestions. They may not work in all situations or every time. There is no magic bullet. Encouraging weaning takes effort with some kids.

Is the frequency new, or has baby always nursed this often? Because you could also try to rule out factors such as teething, illness, or maybe some particular disruption, a new schedule, new living situation, anything new or different that my be causing some insecurity?

Is your child becoming for adventurous, learning new skills? Sometimes certain developmental changes lead to more nursing.

I am going through this a bit with my daughter too, also 22 months. What I have done and it seems to be working fairly well, is to block off a period of time in my head that I will not nurse. Basically it is between getting up in the morning (usually 8:00 AM) and lunch time, so about 4 hours of no nursing. It just makes me feel saner to know I don't have to nurse during that time, and she seems to understand when I say "not now; we'll nurse after lunch". Of course sometimes that leads to a small tantrum. But I can usually distract with some other fun activity, looking at a book together, helping me cook, or helping me hand-wash her clothes/teddy bears/etc. I don't say "do you want to help me cook?", because then she would shout "no!" and cry to nurse. Instead, I just get out the bowl and some vegetables for her to wash, and pull up the chair that she stands on to help. Usually she ends up drinking some of the wash water (nice!) and eating some of the vegetables, so she even gets fed that way

I found for me that just setting aside the morning as a time I don't have to nurse has made me feel better about it. My daughter also nurses multiple times at night, but it has declined (seemingly on its own) the last few months, so down to maybe 3-5 times per night, not including nursing to sleep and nursing on waking.

The other thing that has really helped for me, and maybe it sounds stupid, but was to teach her to say "please". It was driving me crazy how she would whine to nurse "TETAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!". So I taught "please" and the sign-language for it, and wouldn't let her nurse until she did it. It only took a couple hours for her to catch on Now she says 'Please! Teta!" in a perky and optimistic voice, instead of whining or crying to nurse, and for some reason that makes me feel a lot better about it!

Can I just say that I LOVE that there are several of us in a similar high-frequency phase with 22mo children! It's nice to be able to be frank about being ok with waking a few times a night and not get a judgmental look.

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Your situation is similar to mine. Ds went through a more independent patch around 18-20 months, with longer sessions between nursing and a decent attachment to dh. Then he regressed into a clingy little monster He stayed good about eating solids and other liquids but it didn't change his intense needs to nurse all flipping day. I've been thinking it was partially due to the intense verbal leaps he's made lately-more words=more understanding of the big scary world out there=more need for mama. I have put stronger limits in place this month strictly bc of my pregnancy. I just can't take that much right now. I do agree it's easier on him tho hear we'll nurse at this time later rather than flat out no. But I don't have any advice that will totally stop the tantrums. Just we're in the same boat. Your toddler really is normal!

Thanks ladies. She has always nursed a ton unless we were out. She has slowly decreased as she got older, but obviously she still nurses a ton. I'm working on only letting her nurse once per hour during the day right now.

I know this is an oldish post but SAME HERE!
    I'm so glad to hear of others with a beautiful child that loves breastfeeding, I know it's exhausting re : my post ... but for some reason makes me feel so much better hearing about others in a similar position .... makes me realise it's not as hard or bad as I'm making it out to be, in fact it's natural, it's a great sign of attachment from child to parent - and the other way around ... however I'd love to get a good nights sleep in - just one!! Please just one!

Just wanted to chime in that I'm in much the same boat with my 22 month DS. He does eat other food pretty well, and usually only wakes 1-2 times per night to nurse, so it's not so bad for me. But he LOVES to nurse and there are some days it seems that's the only thing he wants to do when I'm home (I do work full time). I'd been wondering if so much nursing was still normal at this age and I'm reassured to see there are lots of toddlers out there just like mine!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!