Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby's not gaining weight

Default baby's not gaining weight

Hey all, I'm looking for a little reassurance here. My little guy hasn't gained any weight in six weeks and I'm kinda starting to get nervous. I know after six months the weight gain is supposed to slow but I didn't think it would come to a complete stop. He hasn't gained anything from 6 months and he is almost 7.5months now. He is still nursing a lot (8-10 x in24 hours) and eating a small amount of solids once a day. Is this ok or should I being having a chat with his Dr? TIA!
    Ryder James 1/21/13

Default Re: baby's not gaining weight

Any thoughts anyone?
    Ryder James 1/21/13

Can you tell us how much he weighs now and how much he's weighed at each check up? Also, any major health issues recently, like a cold or a tummy bug? Has baby always been weighed in the nude on the same scale as last time? Has he continued to grow in height and head circumfence?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hey thanks! He was 8.7 at birth, 11.15 at two months, 19.5 at four months, 22.14 at six months, these are the official Dr weights, all naked, all different scales. He hasn't had any illnesses, he's been very healthy! He's definitely getting longer, because he seems to getting thinner but maintaining weight. I weigh him once every week or two on my digital scale I have at home and he's been weighing between 22.14-23.4 every time since six months, about six weeks ago, almost seven weeks ago now
    Ryder James 1/21/13

That is huge! How is his energy level? Is he still energetic and advancing developmentally? I don't know how worried I would be. Many babies weigh 20 lbs at 1 yr. I know they are supposed to keep gaining but I just don't know how worried I would be with such a big baby.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My son was in the 17-18lb range from about 8 to 13 months, after steady and regular gains previously. He sprouted to about 22lbs by 17 months, and is now topping 25lbs at 22mos. So, his weight has been extremely spurt-driven, whereas his height and head circumference just kept ticking upward at a fairly regular pace. Maybe you're experiencing something similar.

Thanks for posting those weights. Based on your baby's measurements, I see absolutely no reason to worry. He's a big baby who has gained very fast right along, but now that he's getting more mobile it's time to look for him to start leaning out. All those calories that used to get packed on as fat are going to start going into motion, and you're probably going to see a relatively slender toddler emerge from your baby's chub in the next 6 months or so.

I really agree with Alphawoman- watch for growth spurts in weight and more steady increases in head circumference. In my experience, height growth tends to proceed in a spurt-plateau pattern, as well. My kids will go through a height spurt, and they'll suddenly become more slender and also need all new pants!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"