Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Food Poisioning -Lower Milk Production

Default Food Poisioning -Lower Milk Production

Hi!

I have a little girl that just turned 3 months old. I'm new to this site, so hopefully I don't ramble to much, but I had food poisioning Saturday night. I throw up all night and finally went to the ER at 5AM honestly because I knew dehydration wasn't good for my milk production. They hooked me up to an IV and I was breast pumping with an IV at 6AM like usual time to feed/pump for me and my baby. When I was hooked to the IV i couldn't pump fast enough my breasts hurt so bad since I had so much fluid going, so I pumped and pumped! I ended up pumping and dumping thinking the meds they put me on were not okay for breastfeeding so i did pumping/dumping (probably 5x) till 4PM talk to my doc, said it was okay to feed her and I did the rest of the day by breast. For how bad I felt i stayed on top of pumping and feeding so I wouldn't loose any supply. These past 2 days my supply has been alot lower especially in my right breast! I have been drinking mother's tea, pumping 1x extra to increase demand/supply, feeding her on the right one first to help out the supply, and hydrating like crazy. I can't seem to figure out why it would drop when I feel i have done everything right. In my right breast though i have a pain, sometimes throbbing, could it be a clogged duct(does that reduce supply?). I'm scared, because I think I would be DEVASTED if i couldn't breast feed her. My goal is 1-1.5 years and I love feeding her, it's such a magical moment and she loves it, makes me so happy. I need help and encouragment please. Has anyone had any of this!?!

THANKS!

Default Re: Food Poisioning -Lower Milk Production

It's possible that while you are doing all the pumping while you were sick, you developed a plugged duct on the right. Sometimes the pump is not as effective at emptying the breast as baby is, predisposing to plugs. Here are some ideas for resolving the plug: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf and \http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/.

The most important thing is to empty the breast frequently and thoroughly.

It's also possible that your supply did take a bit of a dip due to being sick, dehydrated, and again, pumping rather than nursing, which can be less stimulating to milk production than nursing. But don't worry, just let baby nurse as much as she likes (and offer frequently) and she will bring your supply back to normal levels within a few days. No reason to think that this will harm your breastfeeding relationshp!

Are you home with baby, or do you have to go in to work? If you're home with baby, no need to do anything more than nurse on demand. If you're working or soon to resume work, it might be a good idea to throw in a couple extre pump sessions... Depending on your current output.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for the links, I'm hopeful now, I was stressing big time about it, which wasn't helping. I will try some of these methods.

I am currently working, but I have changed it up so she can breastfeed, to where I wake up early and feed before work, feed her at lunch and then right when I get home, and I added 1 session of pumping extra at work yesterday, but I think I will add 2 today!

If you do think it's a plugged duct and you're pumping, after you finish pumping both breasts, you may want to spend a few extra minutes pumping the right breast and massaging the breast at the same time. That can help work out a plug while at work as well (something I have frequent experience with, unfortunately!)