Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Right breast doesn't seem to empty

Default Right breast doesn't seem to empty

My right breast seems to engorge more than the left and also even after feedings (10 to 25min) or pumping (10 to 15 min or until any more milk seems to come out) doesn't seem to get fully emptied. It doesn't hurt or feels warm though. Is this normal?

Default Re: Right breast doesn't seem to empty

Is this situation new, or has it been this way all along? If it's new, then it could indicate that you have another plug forming...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Maybe the right just is just a better producer then the left my boobs don't produce evenly!
    Ryder James 1/21/13

It just seems harder to empty. Usually my LO does a better job than the pump. But it seems to take double the work to empty the right compare to the left. Although eventually gets empty. The weird thing is that this wasn't like that before. Could it be that the ducts are swollen? Or thinner? Or something? The good is that even when is full is not getting red, warm or painful (just feel the pressure of the fullness)

Any lopsidedness? I.e. one side being larger than the other.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Most of the time there is not a visual lopsidedness, though I often feel the right breast fuller, and most of the time it doesn't feel as loose as the left after I feed m baby (like there is some milk still there or the boob is swollen. It does not hurt though. But I can manually express it and milk will still come out). Usually after the first feed of the day I actually pump it after my LO fed to "finish them out" because they get the most engorged after the night, (My baby is sleeping around 8hrs, although she is eating more frequent through the day.) but even then there's always more milk coming out of the left side.
    I also realized my right aureola is bigger than the left one. I don't see any milk blister to obstruct the milk out, occasionally I would see a white dot where I once had a blister but after a while it goes away, like it just seems to be a little piece of skin but is not like a "bubble-like-blister". I often apply warm compresses before feed and/or pump and massage during the feed.
    Bottom line, my concern is: is my baby getting enough milk and will this eventually lead to a infection or mastitis? Is it normal? What should I do?

The best way to measure your baby's milk intake is to watch her diaper output and weight gain. If that's normal, then she's getting enough to eat even if you feel that she never "empties" either breast. And it is actually impossible for her to empty the breast, because milk is always being made. The faster and more completely the breast is emptied, the faster milk is manufactured to replace what is being taken out. This is also why you don't need to wait for your breasts to "fill up" I order to feed your baby. Even an "empty" breast is making milk.

It sounds like what you're doing is actually perpetuating the lopsidedness caused by oversupply on the right. Every time you start your morning by "finishing them out" with the pump, you're telling your body "Yes, you did need to make all that milk. Make the same amount tomorrow at the same time, please." I personally would put the pump away. Your supply will probably decrease a bit, and as that happens you'll need to stay alert for plugged ducts and mastitis. But eventually you should be waking up feeling less full, and hopefully less lopsided.

But wait, you say, what happens if my baby needs more milk and I let my supply go down because I wouldn't pump? Well, what will happen is that your baby will just ask to nurse more, and increased frequency will build your supply back up to where it needs to be.