Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby prefers left breast?

Default Baby prefers left breast?

My baby is 8 weeks old and has always seemed to prefer the left breast over the right. Lately however, she will ONLY nurse of the left side about 80% of the time. She just refuses the right until I give up and put her on the left. I'm worried that this could hurt my supply and that she won't get enough milk from just my left breast. Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to get her to nurse more on my right side? Thanks!!

Default Re: Baby prefers left breast?

A lot of babies develop a preference for one breast over another. It's fine to nurse primarily on just one breast, as one breast is generally sufficient to make milk for at least one baby. (Think of moms of twins- they essentially nurse with just one breast per baby.). The big problems with one-sided nursing are lopsidedness, which can become a visible nuisance, and the fact that if baby won't use your "B" side, you'd left without a spare if something happens to your "A" side.

Try varying your nursing position so that you're holding baby in the exact same position for breast A and breast B- sometimes that will trick baby into taking the B side.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"