Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: All night comfort nursing

Default All night comfort nursing

Hello,
    I am a second time mom but with my second DS we are exclusively breastfeeding (first son had to be supplemented). So this on demand nursing for his first month is quite new to me. He is 20 days old and here's my experience. Can someone comment if they have similar experiences and/or any suggestions/advice?

It seems to me that at night time particularly (i.e., after 10 pm) my LO nurses for just a few minutes (maybe 5-7) on a side and then falls asleep. I attempt to transfer him to the bassinet without waking him and he wakes up wanting to eat again. The only way to soothe him is to have him nurse again. And again it's just a few minutes. Last night this repeated for 2 1/2 - 3 hours until finally he stayed asleep. I have to assume it's more comfort for him than actual food. During the day he seems to have more productive nursing times though most of the time when he's awake he is in fact hungry. He's gaining weight like a champ so I'm sure he's getting enough.

Suggestions? Would others continue to just have him nurse until he's satisfied enough to get some rest on his own at night? Should I just assume this first month is getting to know eachother and establishing supply and I should just take it a day at a time? Would love others comments

Default Re: All night comfort nursing

Totally normal. I'd say what you're describing depicts the ideal scenario for a newborn--on demand, 24 hour access. You're doin exactly the right thing! I know it's extremely tiring, but the time flies. Rest as much as you can and outsource all the housework and cooking, if possible!

Totally normal. My second daughter was a huge cluster nurser in the evenings. I'd nurse her to sleep in my bed, and then slip away for some "me" time, and then, 5-10 minutes later- WAH! So I'd go back, nurse her to sleep again, slip away, and 5-10 minutes later- you guessed it!- WAH!!! That cycle could repeat anywhere from 5-20 times an evening before my LO would go down for a 2-3 hour stretch of sleep.

It's temporary, I promise! For my daughter, it lasted maybe 3-5 months, tapering off pretty significantly towards the end. And I have a feeling that I caused a lot of the problem (well, it was a problem for me, not for her!) by trying to sneak away. If I'd just stayed in bed with her, I am sure she would have gone right to sleep. Babies thrive on closeness, and instinctively know that when mom is not around, they are in danger of being cold, hungry, and maybe eaten by a sabretooth tiger. As far as little babies know, we're still living in caveman times!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yep, totally normal! My little guy did the exact same thing, it stopped at some point... 3-4 months I think
    Ryder James 1/21/13

Thank you all so much! Definitely helpful to hear others went through the same thing! and LOL on the sabretooth tiger