Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 mon old not eating well during the day

Default 4 mon old not eating well during the day

My little guy has had colick. At his 2 month appointment I was sure there was something wrong because he would cry after eating so doctor
    Prescribed Zantac. It didn't help. I started taking him to the chiropractor which helped a little. He was really gassy. He has gotten better now that he rolls
    Over and grabs his toes. I cut out dairy bc of things I had read and I have had a sensitivity to it as well. I am also gluten sensitive but haven't cut that out. I don't know if I should. Do things like this affect him if they affect me? I have tried adding a little bit of dairy but too much seems to make him fussy. He is gaining weight and is healthy. However, he doesn't eat very well during the day. He will eat for a
    Few minutes and then fuss. He acts like he is hungry but his belly growls and he pulls off. He has been eating every 2 hrs or so and every 3 at night. I don't know if I am just feeding him too often but he acts like he's hungry. Chiropractor told
    Me to try probiotics this week but its not making a difference really. I mentioned this to the new doctor at around 2 1/2 months and he said maybe he just isn't hungry. Any advice?

Default Re: 4 mon old not eating well during the day

As long as your baby is gaining normally and healthy there is typically not too much to worry about.

If it really is reflux, medication should help. If it is not helping, it is either not the right medicine or dose, or it's not reflux.

Does your baby still cry after nursing? Does he ever nurse to sleep? Does he sleep better if held/cry more if laid down?

You cannot nurse a baby too often. A 4 month old typically nurses at least 8 times a day, more often is fine and normal. Frequent feedings typically help with reflux and fussiness, and, well, with almost everything. Short feedings are usually fine, as long as they are frequent. Many babies start nursing for shorter duration at least part of the time at this age.

Do things like this affect him if they affect me?
    not neccesarily. First off, while breastfed babies can have an allergic reaction to the foods a mother eats, it is very rare. Food sensitivities may run in a family and they may not. Breastfeeding has been shown to reduce the incidence of food-based allergies. Your milk is not made directly from the contents of your stomach. So while what you eat is part of it, your milk is an utterly unique and separate food that is very different from the foods you eat. An adult's issue with dairy may be due to lactose intolerance, but for a baby it is the dairy protiens that may, sometimes, be an issue. On the other hand, if you know you are sensitive to gluten and dairy, you can certainly cut them out of your diet for your own health and well being.

What colic symptoms are you seeing, mama? Is he frequently inconsolable, is he exhibiting signs of real discomfort? Does fussiness intensify as the day goes on, or is it all day long?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He rarely nurses to sleep. If I'm holding him during a nap, he might wake up and eat a little and then go back to sleep. I use the cradle hold. He doesn't spit up very often. If I burp him, he might eat a little more, he might not. I understand that's its normal for him to eat that often, I just don't get why he starts fussing after eating a few minutes. I will stop and burp at that point but like I said, sometimes he will eat more, sometimes not. He has never liked his bassinet so we have pretty much held him up until a week ago and I started working on getting him to sleep in his crib at least for naps. He has started to fight his sleep ( or at least I think that's what he's doing). He really has to have a fit before taking a nap, whether its us rocking him or laying him down. Any clues as to what that is about? It wears me out. Haha

As far as the colic, he used to be pretty inconsolable in the evenings. He has started to somewhat out grow that. (And that's what the doctor said he thought it was). The chiropractor always says he has tight spots in his tummy. As of today, he fights his sleep terribly. I don't know if this is because of something else going on or what. He is very restless if he hasn't pooped in a while. He usually poops at least three times a day.

Your experience sounds similar to mine in some ways, Momma. I have a question for you - what color is your baby's poop? If it's green and frothy, your baby is getting too much foremilk, and you may have overproduction problems. My daughter had greenish diarrhea for 5 months before I figured out the problem. Too much foremilk can cause colicky symptoms - spitting up, lots of crying after feeding, frequent feeding (foremilk doesn't keep baby full for long, so they want to eat often, but the more they get, the more their stomach is upset), hiccups. Another indicator is that Mom winds up with mastitis because baby can't fully empty a breast in a feeding. (I just had my 5th bout of mastitis) To deal with overproduction issues, nurse in blocks of time on only one side. For example, for a 4 hour block of time, nurse from only one side, as many times as your baby wants to eat. If you get uncomfortable on the other side, pump or express a little milk, just until you are comfortable. The goal is to get your body to produce less milk by only nursing from one side, and to allow your baby to get more hindmilk by continuing to nurse from the same side (so they finally get through all your foremilk to get to the good stuff). Your milk production should adjust within a few days, and then you can go back to nursing from both sides if baby finishes with one side and is still hungry.

I also cut everything out of my diet, like you. I swear, I was eating cardboard and water for a few months. I did find that my daughter has a sensitivity to milk, red meat, onions, and chocolate/ caffeine. Most of those sensitivities are greatly reduced around 6 months old, but at 11 months, I've just introduced many things back into my diet (though I still can't have milk and red meat - or at least, I'm not willing to be up all night with my crying, gassy baby just to eat them!). Many moms told me that I could eat anything, and why did I think I couldn't have certain foods? Well let me tell you what, sure! I can eat anything. But whether or not some moms just didn't notice, never made the connection, or their babies truly weren't bothered, some babies are bothered by what mom eats. And I'm unwilling to make my daughter suffer (and get less sleep myself) if I can cut out a few foods and make everyone happy. So experiment! Try cutting out foods (for a full 2 weeks), and then reintroduce them to see if there is a difference!

As far as the 4 month old sleep issues - that's really common! Babies are becoming more aware of the world at 4 months, and they want to sleep less because they're so interested in everything. You'll probably find that your baby eats less during the day and makes up for it at night. As long as this is fine with you, go for it! My daughter is 11 months old and goes to daycare every day, where she takes a whopping 5 oz of expresssed milk (even though I send over 15 oz) and a little baby food. She nurses every 2 hours all night long to make up for it, and sometimes more often. Nursing is very important to me, so I feed her all night long and cosleep so that I get more sleep with all the feedings. I encourage you to try different things and do what works best for you and your baby. Don't let other people tell you what you should be doing. Many people are horrified at cosleeping, but it works for me and my daughter, and I love being close to her after being away from her at work all day.

I love this article about nursing at 4 months: http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/4mo-sleep/

Good luck, and keep up the good work! Don't lose heart. Breastfeeding can be hard work at times, but it's so worth it for your baby. If all else fails, try to get your baby to eat around naps and night sleeping - babies eat best when they're sleepy. When my daughter goes on nursing strikes, that's the only way I get her to eat!

I've heard of that. I have noticed that it is sometimes green but mostly orangish yellowish

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lisasimnz View Post
    I've heard of that. I have noticed that it is sometimes green but mostly orangish yellowish
    I had the same exact problem as you, except ours was green mucous diarrhea, some blood 5-7x per day for about 3 months. Never yellow. Comfort nursing came very gradually, finally at about 5 months old I could nurse her down for naps and bed. I went on an elimination diet, it was very difficult. I took out the top allergens (wheat, eggs, soy, milk, nuts, corn, etc.).

She's now 9 months (next week) and thinking about what happened, I'm not convinced she did have an allergy. She might have, she had eczema, but that's gone and I've reintroduced everything back in. She wasn't unhappy and was gaining weight normally since birth aside from one low weight check in the beginning. I did the diet to solve the green poop issue, but maybe that isn't a bad thing after all unless there are other serious symptoms to accompany it. She was never in love with nursing, but now she seems to enjoy it. I had a really bad case of oversupply, and after reading some of Dr Jack Newman's facebook posts, I feel confused about the whole food sensitivity thing and also block feeding.

Anyway, if your baby is happy and healthy, I wouldn't put yourself through the diet thing. It's hard. It sucks. And I didn't find any instant relief symptoms in my baby. She really started to improve after 5 months when the oversupply was gone. If your baby is absolutely miserable and not growing, then a diet might do some good.
    and Mama to two little girls

I strongly urge any mom who is considering changing her diet when she suspects something she is eating is causing an otherwise healthy, well gaining baby to have unusual fussiness, spitup, gas, poop frequency, color or consistency, short sleep stretches, frequent nursing, colic, etc- to do so very systematically.

first, keep exclusively nursing. Breastmilk is still the best for babies even if (and perhaps, especially if) there is an allergic reaction going on.

1)Eliminate one food (or group, like dairy) at a time. See list in the protocol I link below for what foods to try after dairy.
    2)If no improvement, add that group or food back into diet and try another.
    3)If you eliminate a food or group and the ‘symptoms’ improve, keep up the elimination OF THAT FOOD OR GROUP ONLY for a couple weeks or so.
    4)Then eat a nice helping of that food. For example, if it was dairy, drink a glass of milk.
    If baby reacts, that would indicate the elimination of that food should continue. If baby has no reaction, the change in baby was merely a coincidence.

If baby has clear and obvious symptoms of allergy that are potentially a health concern- (Blood in stool confirmed by laboratory test and not due to another factor-blood in mothers milk, for example) slow gain or weight loss, eczema) read this and, with the help of your doctor, IBCLC, or dietician, choose a healthy and doable approach to the issue. http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

To many breastfeeding mothers are almost starving themselves for no reason, which is very detrimental to their own health and happiness and leads to early end of breastfeeding. In the vast majority of breastfeeding dyads, no diet changes of any kind are needed when nursing.