Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some reassurance re: dwindling supply

Default Need some reassurance re: dwindling supply

I haven't posted here in a long time, but my daughter is about 14.5 months old now and still nurses 6-7 times a day. I love our nursing relationship and hope it continues as long as she wants. Unfortunately, I've been on domperidone since she was about 4 months old. Last Friday, I had a sudden feeling (call it intuition or my Creator or what have you) that I needed to stop the Dom. Like just stop. So, I did.

I can already tell that my supply has decreased. My letdowns (which I've always felt strongly) are noticeably weaker and she is swallowing less. My breasts are also very deflated - I know this isn't a sign of low supply, but they've always felt full in between feedings. (This could be because of the Dom creating a bit of an oversupply - I've never been completely convinced I had low supply, but I was strongly urged to go on the Dom by a well-respected breastfeeding expert.)

Anyway, I just need some reassurance. I'm worried that my supply will dry up completely and/or she'll stop nursing. She's never been a very demanding little nursling, but I do feel like recently she's been loving it more than she did when she was younger. I hope my supply doesn't decrease too much and our nursing continues for a long time.

Anyway, I just felt like I needed to express these concerns to people who understand. My husband, as supportive as he has been of our breastfeeding, doesn't really understand why I would be worried about this at this point, since she's old enough to wean.

Thanks for any reassurance!

Default Re: Need some reassurance re: dwindling supply

I think it's time to relax, mama. Everything you describe sounds very normal. Not feeling full, ever- normal. Most moms stop feeling full after just a few months, except perhaps on rare occasions when they have a bad plugged duct or baby suddenly sleeps through the night. Not feeling letdowns- normal. Many moms never feel them, and most women find that the sensation decreases markedly with time, as supply and demand come into sync.

If your baby likes nursing and you are willing to keep nursing her, I see no reason to think that your supply will disappear. And even if it decreases markedly, it's really not a problem, because at this point your child can make up for any shortfalls in the amount of milk she gets by eating more solids.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your reply. I guess part of my concern is that she doesn't really eat a ton of solids. It could just be because there's always been plenty of milk, but I always offer solids first, then nurse. She'll eat a few bites here or there (for example, she'll eat 5-6 bites of scrambled eggs, 3-4 bites of banana and a couple bites of yogurt for breakfast) - drink a few sips of water (doesn't seem to care for cows milk - I haven't tried any other milks). So, part of me has been keeping up the Dom bc she isn't taking much in the way of solids. But again, I can't stay on Dom indefinitely. (I'd been having thoughts that I should wean from it before last Friday when I had the most intense feeling that I needed to get off of it.)

Anyway, hopeful that her lack of solids will change if my milk decreases significantly.

I just nursed her down to sleep and she really barely swallowed at all. I know mamas often down feel letdowns and have soft breasts all of the time, but I can hear when she swallows and she's definitely drinking less.

Sorry. Just a little (lot!) sad about this change.

Hoping her solids pick up...and she wants to keep nursing for the little bit of milk that's there. (And comfort and closeness!)

Hi
    Wanted to share a similar experience was on dom and stopped it at13 months . It caused an oversupply in me and I had to resume work and could not pump so I had to stop it as I did not want to risk plugged duct etc. gradually over a month my supply decreased and dd improved her solid intake. She had a weight loss initially then gradually gained well. She is a generally a laid back nurser and was always worried that she would wean if I stopped dom. But that did not happen definitely her frequency is less but still she feeds at least 4 to 5 times a day.she is in the fun phase of toddler nursing. She still does not like cows milk, but I keep offering it to her at intervals in her own special cup so that she may get used to it. I do not force her. She has curd which she loves and cheese instead for dairy
    I think it more of reluctance on my part to let go of dom fearing that she would wean. But now instead concentrating on solids and still offering her to nurse usually after her solids , on her demand or when I want to snuggle up to her
    I don't look at whether she swallows or not I just nurse her anyway they are super efficient at that age even a swallow they get milk
    She suddenly took to water in her straw cup which made the difference . I prefer to nurse her when at home rather than give her water. Water is mostly for daycare, after meals
    Last edited by @llli*lllsmum; September 3rd, 2013 at 01:16 AM.

i think this emotional shift hits most of us, even people who didn't have supply issues early on. it's hard to make that tranistion around a year from being the sole provider of nutrition to letting go a little. i see it in moms who pump at work too (including myself) - shifting from the stockpiling mentality to the using-up-the-stockpile mentality. it's likely partly hormonal.

when i was pregnant, a friend said something about how birth is "the first goodbye". that really struck a chord with me and since then i've thought about some of the other big early "goodbyes" - like the first time i left baby for an hour to do some work, the first time i went back full-time, the first time he had solids, the first time i refused night-nursing, the first time he slept in a different room (in approximate chronological order for us). it helps me process a little. so, for you, maybe quitting the dom is one of these goodbyes. doesn't say anything about how long your nursing relationship will last from this point, though! it has just changed, and that's how things go with little ones.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Just for completeness' sake, you could also choose to return to taking domperidone if the transition is too upsetting and/or your little one isn't taking enough solids yet.

I'm on domperidone and am nursing my DS22mo about 12+ times/day. I know I will be taking domperidone until DS is down to only a feeding or two which, at this rate, will be when he's 3.

Thanks for all of your replies. I was feeling somewhat better, and then I read on another thread how someone's toddler's weight gain plummeted when their milk dried up during pregnancy. The toddler just didn't pick up solids well enough.

I'm pretty afraid of that happening. My daughter is petite already.

Yes, alphawoman, that is an option and a comfort to remember. Although, I really don't want to. It's been nagging at me lately - partly bc I'm buying it from overseas and have never been fully comfortable with that and partly bc of just not wanting to be on a med any longer.

She ate relatively well (for her) today. Still nursed the same number of times, but definitely swallowed less.

Hi 3kidsmama!
    I just wanted to let you know that I've never been on medicines and had a huge decrease on my milk supply at around 15 months... So maybe that's something not just related to Domp.. I came here to find some confort because I'm struggling to keep my milk supply for my 20 month old son.. And then I found your question... As you, I can totally feel my milk letdow, my baby swallowing, I can even count how many swallows he does, and people think I'm crazy for that! Lol
    I really hope your toddler can accept some little changes and start to eat more solids