Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 week old latches, unlatches, every feed - [Super long]

Default Re: 10 week old latches, unlatches, every feed - [Super long

It sounds like things are getting better. Definitely reduce the length of blocks or even stop block feeding if that feels right-you want to go by how you feel, more than anything else. Nursing one side at a time is how many babies nurse, that is just normal. Nursing both sides is normal to-it just depends on variables such as production, breast storage capacity, baby's preference, and it usually changes over time.

Things seem to be getting better rather than worse,
    that is good! Unpredictable feeding patterns are normal. As long as baby is getting enough milk overall, you have no worries.

By the way, can one breast produce more?
    Yes, in fact one side usually produces more milk than the other.

OK, so my son still unlatches/relatches on occasion but usually this seems to be because he is tired, gassy or full and seems to think he's still hungry (as evidenced by the fact I can put him down for awhile and he'll be perfectly content, but he always still tries to take the boob if offered). I thought babies wouldn't take the breast if they weren't hungry, but if I don't take him out of the breastfeeding position, he'll keep trying to latch and fuss even if he is fine without feeding for a bit. He also still won't take any position that isn't upright very well.

I have continued researching infant GERD and I just don't feel 100% right about the symptoms because he never seems to be in pain, so I wanted to look for other options.

I saw a post here from a few years back that talked about lactose overload. Basically, it seems, getting too much foremilk and becoming fussy as a result of the gas buildup and thinking they are hungry because of the pain in their bellies and actually being hungry because of the thinner milk. This seems more likely to me, as he gets full within 2-5 minutes but eats very frequently as I mentioned.

The issue I'm having is trying to correct this. My left breast seems to be producing fine as my son rarely gets choked up on it, but my right breast is still often very full, painful, and leaking through pads. I have continued to feed on one breast for at least two feeds in a row because I am afraid that he isn't getting the hindmilk when he eats such a short time and his feeds are often close together, so I try to use the same breast for 2 hours. By then, my right one is leaking or not fully drained depending on if I've been using it. How on earth can I fix the oversupply in one breast without lowering the supply in the other?

Also, my main concern why I am not sure to rule out GERD is that my son has wet burps, frequent hiccups and sounds rattly, like he has something wet in his lungs. However, this seems to all be after he feeds and it seems like he is often choking and even inhaling the milk. I know you are not doctors, but any thoughts on that and if it may mean GERD or simply is an issue from the oversupply? It seems almost like he can't figure out how to drink without inhaling milk though he doesn't seem disturbed by any of it or in pain like reflux babies seem to be. I don't want to push GERD when I go the ped tomorrow and put him on meds if it's not, especially since he'll be 3 months soon and I heard that GERD actually gets better by then usually and he has suddenly had these symptoms and gotten "worse".

He is still eating every 20 minutes or less when awake and is basically not able to be put down for a nap because he always wakes up and believes he is hungry and will get upset unless I feed him. I've spent 100% of my time with him this week as a result, babywearing him and I think I won't even get out of bed for most of today but instead try to get some work done on my laptop while he's asleep. But, thank you, you've all been very helpful with making me feel more in control of the situation and I am so thankful we've been able to continue to feed at all.
    Last edited by @llli*xel; September 5th, 2013 at 08:29 AM.

Babies have many needs that they fill at the breast. The breast isn't just for food- it's also a source of warmth and comfort. It's also the original pacifier- babies have a very strong need to suck and until they discover their own hands, they are designed to use the breast, even when they're not hungry. The problem for babies whose moms have oversupply/fast letdowns is that they have a harder time using the breast solely for comfort sucking. But this is not a big problem, and if your baby roots and acts like he wants to nurse, the best thing to do is to just let him nurse, for whatever purpose he has in mind. He'll figure out how to get his specific needs met, if you just allow him the opportunity.

If baby is not in pain and is gaining weight normally, you can put GERD out of your mind. GERD babies tend to exhibit either a lot of discomfort or poor weight gain, or both at once.

Lactose overload babies tend to have green, explosive, and sometimes bloody poops. They also tend to have a lot of gas. But none of these things are really health problems in a baby who is otherwise happy, healthy, and growing at a normal rate. The best things to do if you suspect that oversupply has created lactose overload are:
    1. Nurse in reclined positions. This is often all that is necessary.
    2. Nurse frequently. Most babies who are struggling with oversupply and fast letdowns do better when they take small, frequent feedings rather than infrequent large ones. Small feedings prevent the breast from getting overfull and blasting baby with a fast letdown, and they also prevent the buildup of lactose-rich "foremilk".
    3. Control the oversupply if you are absolutely sure it is an issue. Block feeding may be required.

Please do not worry for one moment about "foremilk" vs. "hindmilk". Babies will grow and develop just fine on a diet of so-called "foremilk" alone, because ALL milk contains everything a baby needs to grow and develop. Babies who eat a lot of foremilk will get more lactose than average and will be more gassy as a result, and maybe have some weird poops- but this is NOT a health problem in a baby who is otherwise healthy and growing.

In your shoes, what I think I would do is to continue to feed approximately 2x on the left for every time you use the overproducing right side. Allowing the overachieving breast to fill up on a regular basis will inform it that it is making too much milk, and you should eventually see a decrease in production on that side. Just don't get stuck in the mindset that you must use the left x number of times. There will probably be times when your baby requires both breasts, particularly as your supply evens out to be closer to what he needs. and thee may also be times when you need to feed more than 2x on the left, to make up for what is happening on the right. Block feeding is an art, not a science, and it takes a while to get things evened out. Don't let setbacks frustrate you- they are not necessarily a sign of you doing something wrong, but are rather the nature of oversupply. You should expect this to be a "two steps forward, one step back" process.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the tips. They helped a lot in getting us to nurse, but my baby had a 3 hour nursing strike last night - the longest he's ever gone in his life while awake. He also increased the amount of time he latched on and grimaced. He also increasingly sounded like he was gulping, swallowing and choking and seemed miserable but wasn't crying. He also wouldn't sleep long. I felt in my gut like something wasn't right and kept researching reflux. The only symptom he was missing was screaming. He woke up all night every hour and stayed awake from 8 am until 2 pm, only barely eating twice (complete opposite of his previous increased feeds).

Thankfully, I went to the pediatrician today, I described his feeding and sleeping problems and the first thing the doctor asked when she came back was if he was spitting up a lot. After a discussion of his symptoms, she said it sounded like a textbook case of reflux and pulling on her experiences with reflux babies over the past 26 years, I began to be sure of my own hunch. She suggested that since he is such a mellow baby, he was just handling it differently but that most babies get it around 6-8 weeks (like when my problems started with him being overtired and constantly comfort nursing) and end up screaming their heads off by two months. She was surprised he had made it this long.

So after some more discussion about what I was doing to help the problem already (happened to be the same things basically as for oversupply mostly) we decided a trial of Zantac sounded right for now, especially as he seems to be suffering so much and it offers fast relief. So I have begun him on the medication and he has slept ever since he got home, feeding once. I should be able to tell if a difference is made in the next 2 days. But I thank everyone for helping me solve my oversupply/fast letdown problems which enabled us to get this far while still nursing until I could narrow down what was going on. (I was able to reduce his green poops, and reduce how he seemed to poop everytime which was irritating his bottom). It's so heartbreaking to see nursing, which is something he loved so much, become painful for him. I hope to report that he is feeding more happily with decent intervals soon...I also hope my experiences help someone else like many of the old posts on the forum did for me.

Xel I am so happy you found information here that was helpful, and, I agree that meds are often indicated when a baby has painful reflux. If your baby is in no more pain with the help of the meds, baby may well nurse more effectively.

Just as a general fyi because I hear this concern a great deal from moms- I would like to suggest that there is no such thing as a "decent" interval when it comes to nursing. All babies are different and, as mommal explains above, nursing fulfills many, many needs. Feeding frequency will fall and increase many times over the normal course of breastfeeding for any number of reasons, and no baby was ever harmed by nursing "too often." So frequent nursing itself is not a breastfeeding problem or, alone, an indication of a problem.

So with LLLMeg!

I think reflux is one big reason why "decent" intervals don't work for a lot of babies. Short intervals between feeds are normal, but they are also often nature's way of treating reflux- frequent swallowing keeps stomach contents moving down instead of up, and breastmilk contains calcium, which helps neutralize the stomach acid that comes back up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"