Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply decrese due to dieting?

Default Supply decrese due to dieting?

hi, everyone! I'm the proud mom to 3.5 month old twins that I am exclusively breastfeeding. I've been working on loosing my baby weight since being given the clear by my doctor, and everything has been going fine, with a slow steady weight loss, and no problems with my supply dipping. In fact, I actually was struggling with an over supply a few weeks ago! for the last two weeks my weight loss has nccreased significantly. last week I lost 3.5 pounds, no problem with supply... this week I lost 2.5 pounds and for the last few days I've been thinking my supply is dipping. my girls have gone from nursing for maybe 15 minutes 7 to 8 times per day to about 45 minutes per feeding, 7 to 8 times per day. I also have had to begin pumping to build a small stash as we had a freezer disaster and my supply defrosted without me knowing (a very painful discovery!). I went from pumping anywhere from 6 to 10 ounces a few weeks ago ( the last time I pumped) to now only getting 2 to 4 ounces a session.

my main question is will my supply go back up by increasing my caloric intake alone, or should I be doing something more? supplements? more pumping? I cant figure out what changed diet wise, but obviously something did since my weight loss increased so much. time to bust out the goodies lol!

thank you for any input. I'm dedicated to nursing these girls exclusively and want to remedy this problem as soon as possible!!!

Default Re: Supply decrese due to dieting?

Congrats on breastfeeding your twins exclusively 3.5 mos! That's awesome. Mine are 5 weeks and I'm struggling with supply.

Since your supply had been good I would experiment with diet and see what happens. How are your babies' wets and poopies? Might they just be going through a growth spurt or something? Have you been sick or run down with the wt loss?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Good suggestions from the PP. As long as you're nursing on demand and the babies' diaper output has remained normal, there's nothing wrong with supply. And it's very possible that they are simply going through a growth spurt- there tend to be big ones at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and maybe one more in the 6-9 month range. They could also be starting to teeth, causing them to spend more time at the breast trying to soothe their sore gums.

One thing that happens to a lot of moms, and which causes a lot of unnecessary freak-outs, is that they go from overproducing to producing just enough. Most moms start out making more milk than their babies need; it's nature's way of ensuring that the baby or babies get enough to eat in that fragile newborn period when they're just getting started with the art of nursing. When a mom is overproducing, she's going to feel full or engorged pretty often, she may leak a lot and feel strong letdowns, and if she's pumping she may be able to get a lot of milk with relative ease. But this state of affairs doesn't last, because making a lot of milk is a waste of energy and puts mom at higher risk for plugged ducts and mastitis. So most women find that within a few weeks or months their supplies adjust to meet their babies' needs very precisely, without a lot of milk leftover to pump out,are them feel full, leak, etc. This is where diaper output becomes a great barometer of intake: if plenty of pee/poop is coming out, you know that plenty of milk is going in!

Your babies are currently nursing rather infrequently. 8 nursing sessions per day is the minimum that most babies need in order to get their needs met. If you want to boost supply, I'd simply offer the breast 2-4 extra times at day. Babies tend to empty the breast better than even the best pump.

You also might want to review your birth control choices- hormonal contraceptives can put a dent in supply- and possibly consider a test for thyroid function, as thyroid issues can cause issues with supply and can also be personable for rapid and unexplained weight loss.

Do you need to return to work soon, or are you going to be home with your babies?z
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That's for all of the information. Surprisingly when I pumped this morning I got 7 ounces! I'm not going back to work until January, at the earliest, so my stash is just for the occasional bottle for now.

I haven't tracked their diapers for a while now, but I definitely will start up again to make sure they're getting enough milk. I know they seem to nurse infrequently, but they haven't nursed 8 times a day since they were about 4 weeks old, but are gaining weight just fine, and the pediatrician seems happy with everything. My older daughter was the same way, so I guess it's normal for us

I'm still concerned about my diet / caloric intake affecting my supply, However I also would love love love to keep on losing weight at such a great rate if it's not affecting my supply. I suppose if I track their diapers I should have my answer as to whether or not I need to increase what I'm eating out not and take it from there. Thanks again!

I hear you, I have a good bit of weight to lose.

You might have a really big milk storage capacity and that's how your babies can go that long without nursing and also how you can pump so much at once. That is great you have such a long leave from work! Wonderful.

I think tracking what you eat and cutting out obvious junk and non nutritious foods is probably safest. If you're hungry eat and just don't starve yourself. I think if you're eating to hunger and drinking to thirst you're doing well.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.