Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1wk3d nb unbrarable clicking while nursing

Default 1wk3d nb unbearable clicking while nursing

I'm a first time mom, my daughter has been exclusively bf since delivery, no paci, bottles nothing. she clicks her tongue while nursing and its painful enough to make me want to stop bf. ive tried relatching time and time again, changing positions and she still does it. i also have issues getting her to open her mouth very wide and when she does she spits the good latch out or clamps down and pulls. and she likes to suck her bottom lip back into the latch, constantly pulling it out. i just don't know what to do. the lc where i delivered wasn't any help.
    Last edited by @llli*mrs.mcwilliams; September 1st, 2013 at 07:27 AM.

Default Re: 1wk3d nb unbrarable clicking while nursing

From your other post, it sounds like you currently have quite a bit of milk, and that would match with clicking. Babies often click in order to control milk flow- clicking is usually the sound of baby breaking suction, and thereby slowing the flow of milk. You might want to try nursing in very reclined positions, because they enlist gravity to slow milk flow to the baby, reducing baby's need to break suction. Frequent feedings should also help, since the breast will be a little less full than if baby goes a long time without nursing.

Has anyone checked your baby very carefully for tongue tie? A tongue tie can cause a baby to click involuntarily, and it would match with the pain you're experiencing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't know that the pain is connected to the clicking as much as the latch. Whenever the pain starts, ise your finger to pop her off and then get her mouth open as wide as possible and shove as much of your breast tissue as possible into her mouth.

Way too lazy for formula

What positioning have you tried? A"Laid back" position will often help both with latch and fast flow, if that is part of the issue. There are other things that help with fast flow-nursing frequently, expressing a little milk before latching baby (or taking baby off when baby gets the milk flowing and letting the first rush of milk go into a cloth, then relatching.)

Some moms find nursing sidelying helps as well.

But if these ‘do it yourself’ remedies are not working, I STRONGLY suggest, try to see a breastfeeding helper in person ASAP. A Board Cert. Lactataion Consultatn (IBCLC) or a LLL Leader or similar.

Nursing should not hurt. Painful latch/painful suckling means something is off and is fixable. But you may need in person help to solve this more quickly so you do not get injured (or more injured) or feel you have to stop nursing due to the pain.

Tips with pictures on latch and different positioning ideas (includes side lying) http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html

Laid back position http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

Laid back video http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

Here are two simple pictorials, look at both, one is on latch and one is on tongue tie which I agree should be ruled out, as it may cause painful ful latch and clicking.

in the latch one, Notice that the mother is in a “slightly” laid back position, looks like on a couch? This is a very “adjustable” position, play around to find how you and your baby are most comfortable. http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html