Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Compressions leaving red marks and bruises

Default Compressions leaving red marks and bruises

I don't know if I'm doing compressions wrong but I read a woman can get twice as much milk with compressions and I've been doing them both while pumping and nursing and my breasts are so tender and sore. I have red marks and bruises on them and I'm already an emotional train wreck worrying about my supply and everything else but wondering what else I could do or if I'm doing them wrong. I have watched videos on how to do them and I think I'm doing what I'm supposed to but it's so painful.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: Compressions leaving red marks and bruises

You are compressing too hard. I made this mistake when I went back to work, and actually wound up with a deep tissue bruise that hurt so badly to pump and nurse through, I thought I would pass out! Gentle compressions and massage are the ticket--and I definitely pump more milk when I do them.

Pretty sure I've given myself a deep tissue bruise, too. It is so very tender. I used a heating pad on it just now. I hope that is OK but I have a friend who used one all the time so I'm betting it's OK.

Feeling any better? It took two excruciating days for me. Hang in there!

Well, I am feeling a little better but I felt so awful Fri night through Sat mid-day and just today looked up the signs of mastitis and believe that's what I had and wonder if that was part of the red marks? I had chills, fever, awful feeling, body aches but no nausea or vomiting and it was after I had gone running for the first time since giving birth, thus also the first time I've worn a sports bra in a long time. I have been using the heating pad.