Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not enough time to pump enough - 10 mo old

Default Not enough time to pump enough - 10 mo old

Hi everyone. I'm a long-time reader (10 months) and first time poster.

I've a teacher and returned to work last Jan, so pumping at work is pretty routine for me now. With my new (weird) schedule, my pump breaks are at around 11:45, 1, and 2:30, but I need about 11 oz to send for my baby during the day. There is absolutely no possibility of me pumping before 11:45. Right now I'm managing to get enough, but I feel like eventually my supply will not keep up with pumping so much in a short time period. Here's my question:

I have a huge freezer stash of over 150 oz. If I can't pump enough and need to supplement his bottles with 2-3 oz of frozen milk per day, will that harm my supply? I guess I'm concerned that my body won't make enough for him on weekends if I tell it 5 days a week that I need a few oz less.

Other info: I nurse him in the morning around 5:45 and 7, then in the evening around 4, 5:30, and bedtime. He also wakes up and eats at least three times overnight. All those times are just routine, not a strict schedule. When we are together I nurse on demand.

Also we have determined through a blood test that he has a milk allergy and will not be able to start on cow's milk during the day when he turned one year. I want to nurse him for as long as possible, so I want to avoid anything that will do major damage to my supply.

I hope all that made sense!!! On an unrelated note, I want to tell the regular posters how amazing they are. Your dedication to helping nursing mothers is priceless - reading this forum has helped me through so much and given me so much confidence!!!

Default Re: Not enough time to pump enough - 10 mo old

So your baby is 10 months, right? If so, I see no reason to worry about supplementing with 2-3 oz of frozen milk during the day. You're just aiming to get maximum breastmilk into your toddler until a year, at which point solids can really start to make up for any slack in your baby's diet.

The reason I wouldn't worry about the supplement is that it's a relatively small amount, and even if there's a shortfall in the amount you make on the average weekday, during the weekend an older baby can generally get more simply by nursing a little more often.

I would talk to your pediatrician about what to offer in place of cow's milk, once your child is a year old. That way you'll have alternatives if your frozen stash starts to dwindle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mommal provided a great response. I wanted to add that when you are ready to wean (no rush) and are looking for an alternative to cow's milk the following <see email below> information may be helpful. Our doctor got this advice from a colleague who has expertise in this area. My dd ended up growing out of her allergy so we could start cow's milk at some point. She's still a full time nursling at 19mos along with eating lots of healthy foods. My dd loves spinach btw so you may not have to mix it in as the doc suggests.

Thank you for contacting me; I'm happy to help in any way that I can. In general, I often steer parents towards coconut milk when their child has a dairy protein allergy. I do this because the consistency of this is closer to that of dairy milk (which children appreciate), the taste is great, and I like the content of medium chain triglycerides. Hemp milk is of good quality (especially when it is made from scratch) and it is very safe. I also do like the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 oils as well as the fact that it has a full amino acid profile.That being said, the consistency can be a little thin and the taste a bit strong so some children just won't tolerate it.

Overall, children will still need to get vitamin D and calcium from another source. I use liquid supplementation for the Vitamin D and pureed steamed spinach mixed into a multitude of foods for the calcium (kids at this age usually don't care about food color and spinach is so mild they really don't taste it).

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to call or email if I can offer any other assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*m11612 View Post
    Mommal provided a great response. I wanted to add that when you are ready to wean (no rush) and are looking for an alternative to cow's milk the following <see email below> information may be helpful. Our doctor got this advice from a colleague who has expertise in this area. My dd ended up growing out of her allergy so we could start cow's milk at some point. She's still a full time nursling at 19mos along with eating lots of healthy foods. My dd loves spinach btw so you may not have to mix it in as the doc suggests.
    If there's any possibility you can get details on whether your doctor's colleague has a brand recommendation or if this is a make your own proposition I'd love to know. We use coconut milk in smoothies, which we share with our 13 month old, but it's a minimal ingredient. Her primary milk is mine. I do not want to stop nursing, but I've been trying to pump wean and cow's milk is not an option. I won't do soy and most every nut milk has additives. Even our coconut milk -So Delicious unsweetened - has a few things, like guar gum.Thanks. P.S. my Ped practice is useless, but we are changing to a new one hopefully in 1 to 2 weeks.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

I agree, definitely would not worry about supplementing a couple ounces of your frozen EBM. Remember that supply is dynamic! If there is a modest drop in supply over the course of the week, your LO will simply nurse more on the weekend to get enough, which of course is also great for giving your supply a bump heading into the week.

Also, keep in mind that the rule of thumb is that if baby is nursing 3-5 times/24 hours, then you don't need to offer cow's milk after a year - LO can switch to water during the day. It sounds like you will easily be meeting that. Here's a link from kelly mom with more information: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...toddler-foods/

We only do water with meals so I never figured out what type of coconut milk is best. I will ask my doctor and get back to you. I can email her, but it may take a bit for a response since illness/emergencies come first.
    I get a can of organic coconut milk, turn it upside down in the refrigerator to let the cream rise to the top. You can scoop off the cream. This cream can then be eaten directly, whipped up to make an amazing whipped topping or mixed with bananas (or whatever) and made in to popsicles. So good. That's what I use when I'm out of milk.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. I'm relieved to know that when the time comes, I can supplement a bit of frozen milk without doing any damage to my supply. We definitely NURSE NURSE NURSE on the weekends so I imagine he will easily get enough on the days we are together.

As for what he will drink while we are away after my frozen stash runs out, our allergist recommended soy milk, but I am not comfortable with that. He also said the other alterna-milks don't have enough protein in them. My hope is that what bfwmomof3 said will be true for us, that if we still nurse 5 times a day, he is getting his dairy requirement and if we choose almond or coconut over soy, he won't be missing the protein because he's getting it from me. But, I plan to talk to a pediatric nutritionist before his first birthday to confirm that.
    Thanks again, gals. This place is the best

if you have a very good blender you can make your own nut milks or rice milk or whatever. You can get your baby protein through your milk, meats, eggs, whatever else. beans...at 10 mos you are in a good place.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.