Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Curious about about changes in pump output after vacation

Default Curious about about changes in pump output after vacation

Hi,
    Just returned from a relaxing and rejuvenating week vacation with baby and husband. I happily left my pump at home and nursed on demand the entire time. Curiously, after returning home and starting pumping yesterday at work again, my output was unusual. I did end up getting my normal 12 oz in 4 pumps, but at first it looked like I wouldn't as my first couple of sessions were small. Same thing today. 2nd pump I only got 2 oz and that was after about 2 hours and 45 minutes from the last feeding. The pump I just completed (#3) in 20 minutes yielded 3.5 oz and that was 3 hours from the previous. Normally 2nd pump (first at-work pump) yields 4 to 5 ounces. All I can think is that while on vacation we were pretty busy and DS did not nurse as efficiently as he does when I'm working and really help him focus in morning and evening feedings. While on vacation he would pop on and off and at the end of the night would make up for it usually. Also my MIL kept giving him copious amounts of solids (can you say macaroni overload?), more than I was comfortable with (even though she's an avid supporter of BFing as my husband was apparently breastfed until about 5).
    It's just I would have though my supply to be up and steady after 8 days together, but it appears to have dropped or maybe just reverse cycled a bit (less in the morning). How could pumping increase my supply more than breastfeeding? I know not to be worried since my DS is 11 months old now and whatever I don't serve him in pumped milk he will make up when I return home from work and at night since we bedshare. And perhaps with all the solids he consumes in 2-3 sittings he is needing less than 12 oz. He has also been intermittently sleeping longer stretches without dreamfeeding. I am almost ready this month as we get ready for his 1st birthday (yay!) to drop the early morning pump as that is just a supplemental and only yields about 2 oz (I do it between the wake up feed and before-work feed after my shower).
    Last piece of information is that before we left on vacation I was taking about 1 tbsp of brewers yeast in my oats in the morning and ceased that on vacation but I figured that would not matter as much as supply/demand.
    Any of you experts out there have an opinion on what might be happening? I do not have a goal of weaning before 2 years or longer and it will be awhile before we pump wean since he is still taking 3 bottles while I'm gone.

Default Re: Curious about about changes in pump output after vacatio

honestly i think you're overanalyzing it. you ended up with your normal amount, right? our bodies make different amounts at different times of day/etc.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I wouldn't worry about it. Any variation in what you're getting may be random, or it may have been caused by your baby's altered nursing pattern during vacation. Since you're still pulling in plenty of milk! I see no reason to drive yourself crazy worrying about the "why". Just enjoy the fact that you're managing the "how"!

With older babies who are starting to eat a lot of solids, it's sometimes possible for pumping to maintain a higher supply than nursing. If you remove 2-3 oz at a time with the pump, but your busy baby only takes 2 when he nurses... Right?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Definitely possible for a pump to remove more when your older baby is more snacking or taking small meals. I kept pumping for 15 mos for my daughter and most of the 15 oz/day I got was in the early mornings.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My pumping output reliably dips a bit after traveling with my LO and without pumping, but I find it goes back up when I get back into my usual pumping rhythm.

Thanks everyone. I do tend to over analyze