Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: traveling for work first month postpartum

Default Re: traveling for work first month postpartum

Darn! The search facility is not very good on that blog. I just tried but couldn't find it either. I have a slow internet connection. I remember there were a lot of comments in the comments section, one of them talked about an interviewee who was a couple weeks post-partum and told her birth-story to everyone on the search committee, so that the only thing people could remember about her was the graphic birth story (don't do that, obviously! Poor lady, I'm sure I would have done the same thing, baby brain and all).

Well, I also remembered that my PhD supervisor (a female full professor with no children) and several other senior women in Academia (who do have children) - full professors and emeritus professors - stressed to me that I should put my maternity leave on my CV (for tenure-track positions in North America). They have all participated on search committees and said it accounts for any gaps in your publications. If you do not actually have a gap in publications, and you have a toddler, even better - then that would show that you CAN produce academically with a child. So their advice suggests it might be good for the search committee to know you have kids.

I agree with Meg that if you could pull it off it would be awesome to ace the interview with baby on the boob in the sling. But I would just worry I couldn't actually pull it off, you know? Before having my kid I had all kinds of high ideas about taking her in the field with me and working with her, but the reality is it isn't always practical or possible, and I can't always pull it off. I do take her in the field with me, but I've had to really lower my expectations of how much I can get done.

I think for me the unhappy medium for a campus visit would be to take baby and a really switched-on caregiver, not hide the baby, but schedule breaks for nursing, and try not to be responsible for baby during key intellectual moments! Easier said than done. I hope your birth is easy, baby sleeps for long stretches, and you get one of these great jobs!

wow, i wish i could find that post!
    that's really interesting advice about putting the leave on the cv - i will ask about that in my field.

thank you! i hope for all of that too.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

One more thing - walking! I was just thinking that you don't want to walk too far a week after giving birth, if it comes down to interviewing then (let's hope it does not). There's a big difference between 1 week and 3 weeks post-partum of course. I felt fine walking after my (vaginal) birth (with small tear) but overdid it on day 6 and then had major hip pain until about 3 weeks. On day 6 I did the kind of walking that might be expected in a campus visit, at least in my field. It's one thing to walk around the block slowly with your dog and baby, and it's another thing to be zooming across campus in 10 minutes to see the nuclear synchrotron or meet with students in the Dept of XX. So that would be another reason to say you just had a baby, and ask the admin staff (or whoever) to arrange your schedule to avoid too much fast walking!

Found it!

http://theprofessorisin.com/2012/02/...ource-project/

It's mostly about being pregnant on your campus visit, but some of the advice is relevant to babies too. It's all in the comments section.

awesome, thanks!! and yes, re: walking!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pteroglossus View Post
    Well, I also remembered that my PhD supervisor (a female full professor with no children) and several other senior women in Academia (who do have children) - full professors and emeritus professors - stressed to me that I should put my maternity leave on my CV (for tenure-track positions in North America). They have all participated on search committees and said it accounts for any gaps in your publications. If you do not actually have a gap in publications, and you have a toddler, even better - then that would show that you CAN produce academically with a child. So their advice suggests it might be good for the search committee to know you have kids.
    I've also gotten the advice to write a line about having kids when writing grants.

huh! ok.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Re: Pumping. I suggest, don't decide now. I assume you are not considering pumping the first few days, when you are making colustrum primarily and learning/loving your new baby. And resting and recovering from birth.

You may feel in the swing of things enough by day 5 or so to consider pumping, and in that case, depending on your body's reaction, pumping once or twice a day or so is probably not going to make THAT much of a difference supply-wise unless you truly go mad each session. And you will know to watch out for it. I cannot speak for others, but when I pumped myself into overproduction I was pumping after almost every nursing session and had not a clue about what drives milk production and the possible consequences, I was just doing what I was told to do.

On the other hand, you may find pumping is simply out of the question, time and sanity wise, in those early weeks post partum. You are going to have quite a bit on your plate as it is. (Understatement of the century.) So no way to really decide now what to do.

I started pumping once a day or so at around 3 weeks, b/c that's what I got out of "Working Without Weaning." Sometimes I would pump one side while the then-tiny baby nursed on the other. (Hard to imagine it now that the baby is almost 9 months, but it worked then!) I did/do have some oversupply, but it was never really problematic for us.

i was pumping already in the hospital last time (at ped's insistence, to bring milk in faster?), and continued at home, and there's nothing i'd love more than to not even pull the pump out of the closet until 2 months! but i don't think that's realistic in this case, so thinking about some kind of balance in advance is helpful for me. my goal is to be much more zen about the whole thing this time, even given the major stressors i'll have.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13