Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: traveling for work first month postpartum

Default Re: traveling for work first month postpartum

@meg - if only!!!

@mommal - i may not have much notice on which dept, so i think i'll still be making decisions last-minute no matter what.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

oh, there's also the middle way of taking the baby but not telling the dept i have. they won't come back to my hotel room with me, of course. but i also wouldn't want them to think i was being sneaky or hiding something, if they happened to find out.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I don't see why they need to know who is traveling with you?

oh, they don't in theory, but in practice they often make travel arrangements for you, pick you up at the airport and hotel, etc.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

I see what you're saying. Well, in that case you have to be straightforward with whoever is making travel arrangements that you're bringing additional family members, but I don't think you have to make a big deal out of it. And in any case, it wouldn't be that unusual for DH to be coming to see these places if they become serious possibilities, right? I mean to check out the town and so forth? We had one faculty candidate from Germany who came with his wife, and she accompanied him to the dinner.

you would think it would be more normal for family to come, especially since it's not unusual to get as little as 2 weeks after the visit to accept an offer, but it's not. the academic job market is WEIRD.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

That is dumb. ‘Honey, we may be up and moving to Timbuktu. Google it, since you cannot come with me to actually see it first.’

Maybe if you treat it like "I have a newborn. NATURALLY I have to bring baby along-so that there will be no disruption, I have arranged for a caregiver to accompany us.’

I am kind of kidding here, but what if you throw in something like ‘in my culture, a newborn must stay with mother in the early weeks.’ That would get PC minds a-grinding.

OK kidding aside, I thought of something that actually might help. Maybe look up local LLL Leaders where you might be going, maybe call a few to make sure they are still active. Do this now, you won’t have time after baby comes.
    That way, you have a local contact who hopefully can point you in the right direction locally if something goes sideways-your pump breaks, etc.

OOH, finding a local LLLLeader is a great idea, thanks! and thanks for tthat language about bringing baby & caregiver - i think that's really good.

and re: location - yeah, it's bizarre. it's like everyone thinks that because we live "the life of the mind" our families don't matter in where we move. of course, since jobs are so scarce people actually rarely have a choice ... getting 2 offers is just what we dream of.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Goodness, I hope it all works out. I certainly would not leave Baby in another state/location that young. I would at least bring along DH or your mom so you can nurse whenever possible and pump whenever not. I can definitely understand not taking a baby to an interview, I wouldn't personally feel comfortable doing that, either but I just know I cried leaving DD for my first day of work at 10 weeks PP and it was only one day/week (I'm already dreading going back at 5 weeks PP and not even sure when it's going to be since my boss hasn't talked about it yet) all that to say no way would I leave my child for over 24 hrs that young, especially when breastfeeding and working on bonding and attachment.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

secondary question for y'all - given all the uncertainties, i could go nuts pumping very early to try to build a stash for being away. and risk oversupply, plus all the stress and time of doing that. or i could just say, screw it, and use whatever donor milk i have from my neighbor and then formula. way less stressful but ...

wwyd?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13