Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Breast milk supply

Question Low Breast milk supply

I'm a new mother of a 4 week old baby. I'm worried that my milk supply is low. I've never had the so called "letdown" feeling/experience. I've never had to use breast pads because I've never leaked. I have to squeeze the nipple to even get a tiny bubble of milk on top of the nipple. I have a wedding to attend in two weeks and my mother is going to watch the baby. By then our little one will be 1 1/2 months old. I tried to pump an hour after breast feeding to build a supply for her to feed him. I used a medical grade Medela double electric pump. I pumped for 15 min and only got 1/4 ounce. Then I heard you get the most in the morning so while my baby was sleeping his longest spurt I pumped in the am. I still only got 1/4 ounce. So between two sessions of milk combined i only got a total of 1/2 ounce.He woke up and was starving and he acted like there wasn't anything in either breast and they felt like mush. He just cried and kept rooting. I go back to work full time in a month or so. How do I get my supply up enough to ever leave home for anything or go back to work?

Default Re: Low Breast milk supply

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

Not feeling letdowns means nothing. I nursed my kids for 3 years apiece and never felt a letdown- some moms just don't get that sensation. And not leaking doesn't mean anything, since plenty of moms don't leak. Not being able to pump much doesn't necessarily mean anything, either, since not all moms respond well to pumping, particularly the first few times they do it. It's a learned skill!

How is nursing going aside from this issue with the pump? Is baby gaining weight well and wetting/pooping normally? How many times a day does baby nurse, and how does nursing feel? These are better indicators of normal milk supply than what happens when you pump.

Don't freak out- we'll help you through this as much as we can!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He has at least one poopy diaper a day and 8-10 pee diapers. He nurses very often like every 2-3 hrs when he's awake. At night he cluster feeds right before his long stretch of sleep which is 4 hrs. His pattern is that he tends to nurse a little and suckle until he goes to sleep. I just need to be able to feed him and build a stash.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

Not feeling letdowns means nothing. I nursed my kids for 3 years apiece and never felt a letdown- some moms just don't get that sensation. And not leaking doesn't mean anything, since plenty of moms don't leak. Not being able to pump much doesn't necessarily mean anything, either, since not all moms respond well to pumping, particularly the first few times they do it. It's a learned skill!

How is nursing going aside from this issue with the pump? Is baby gaining weight well and wetting/pooping normally? How many times a day does baby nurse, and how does nursing feel? These are better indicators of normal milk supply than what happens when you pump.

Don't freak out- we'll help you through this as much as we can!

And how has weight gain been?

If this is just a simple pump problem, here are some things to try:
    - Try a different pump, or rehab your pump if it is old/used (new valves, diaphragm, tubing)
    - Try different shield size
    - Try pumping after feedings at around the same time of day for several days, and see if you observe an increase in output
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"