Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning to Bottles Help

Default Weaning to Bottles Help

Hello,

My daughter is almost 7 month old has been breastfed almost exclusively with the exception of a bottle here to there. Around 4 months or so I went back to work and my husband had to give her 1 evening bottle. I started giving her a bottle before bed regardless of whether it was my husband or I, just to be consistent. I have tried, and for the most part have been successful in keeping her somewhat on a schedule.

Around 6 months she became really difficult to nurse. She would only latch on for a few minutes but she wasn't really acting too hungry. I was unsure how much she was getting. Not long after this I started working more hours and almost completely switched her to bottles. I now only nurse for late night/early morning feedings. Once we are up she gets bottles. So 3 bottles a day (lunch, dinner and before bed). There are ZERO problems with her nighttime feeding. She gets some cereal, eats her bottle and I put her ok. The day time bottles are a fight.

SHe has also stopped sleeping through the night. I have heard teething can cause this, general ADD from being stimulated and occupied, etc. I was feeding her and if she didn't eat it all - oh well. But then she was eating ton overnight (I'm assuming making up for the missed calories). So over the past few days I have been feeding her all day long to make sure she gets so many ounces and it has helped. It may take me 2 hours or so to get a full bottle in here.

I know snacking is not a good habit and I do not plan on doing this long term. But i'm hoping in a week or so she will get used to bottles, start sleeping better, and then hopefully will take her daytime better quicker and in a more condensed time.

Does anyone have any advice!! I am at my wits end!!

Default Re: Weaning to Bottles Help

welcome!

there is absolutely nothing wrong, nutritionally or developmentally, with snacking! in fact it's much healthier for all of us to eat more frequent small meals.

i'm not sure exactly what you're asking for help with. sleeping through the night (medically defined as ONE five hour stretch) is something only about half of babies are doing by 6 months. stopping STTN after having done it before is also very normal and developmentally appropriate. as is nursing a lot at night, especially when mom is at work.

are her bottles pumped milk? or something else? how much is "a full bottle"? are you asking for help figuring out how YOU can get more sleep? or what?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yes I agree with Auderey. Your baby sounds normal. How can we help? Did you want to encourage baby to nurse more? Take the bottle better? Both? Is baby gaining ok?

If baby is fighting the bottles maybe the bottles are too large and too infrequent? here is some info on bottle feeding: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

with the PPs. Tell us how we can help you, and we'll be able to help you better.

I also just want to re-emphasize the biological normalcy of snacking. It's a healthy eating pattern for both babies and adults, and you should not expect your baby to adopt a "meals, not snacks" eating style until much later in childhood. Toddlers and young children require snacks in order to keep their energy up, and I still send a snack to school with my second grader, at the school's request, because the kids learn so much better when they have something in between breakfast and lunch.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Here is where I need the help or at least to hear that it is normal for this age. BTW the bottles are pumped milk.

1. My child shows very little interest in drinking milk during the day. This was happening whether it was bottle or breast. She eats food or cereal but milk is forced. Obviously she is too young to wean but I am lucky if I can get 1-2 ounces in her at a time. When she is with me I just keep trying and she snacks all day. However, when I am working her caregivers aren't as persistent and she is just not getting the milk. So it is ok that she is not getting tons of milk in her during the day? Should I add in more baby food? As of now she is only getting tastings of baby food and cereal but not really enough to count as anything.

2. Is her not eating during the day causing her to not sleep through the night? She has pretty much been a great sleeper since 6 weeks old and has always gone at least one 5 hour stretch (if not longer) a night. Some nights recently she has been up every 2 hours. And its been going too long, and isn't consistent enough with her pattern for a growth spurt.

Thanks!!

1. Yes, it's okay that she's not getting a ton of milk during the day because she is obviously making up for it at night! The fact that you are allowing her to do that is wonderful, because it means that she is getting what she needs despite her light daytime appetite. The only problem with reverse cycling is the pressure it puts on you at night! I would definitely want her caregivers to keep trying with the bottles, offering small amounts on a frequent basis (as is biologically normal), but I wouldn't up the solids at this point because until a year you want breastmilk to be baby's primary source of nutrition. You don't want her to nurse less or take even less from the bottles due to filling up on solids.

2. Not sleeping through the night is also biologically normal for such a young baby, regardless of how much they eat during the day. Most children continue to wake at night and need parental comfort until they are at least into toddlerhood, and many continue to do so into childhood. Why it happens... Teething, growth spurts, need for calories, and the mastering of new developmental milestones are responsible for a lot of it. But if you're working outside the home, nighttime may also be baby's time to reconnect with you. Sweet, and also exhausting!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

mine nursed every 2 hours at night pretty much until he finished his molars at 18-20 months.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.