Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much is too much?

Default How much is too much?

We're like the Goldilocks nursing couple. My LO is an inefficient nurser (LC diagnosed), and we had too much, then I overcorrected and we had too little. So, I've been pumping for about a month, and now I'm concerned that I might be getting too much again. I still have to occasionally use a sippy cup because she will refuse (usually 4-5 hours in the mornings), and because I now work part-time.

I've started to turn the pump off, even though the milk is still flowing, at
    2 oz./side, if it's been a while since she fed, and at
    1.5 oz./side, if it's after a good nursing session.

Advice on when to stop a pumping session? Today, I stopped supplemental pumping and only pumped when she either refuses or when we're going to be separated for more than a couple of hours.

5 1/2 m.o. who's hugging the top of the 50% curve on WHO charts.

Default Re: How much is too much?

are you feeding her all that pumped milk? is she getting other supplements? if not i'm confused why you're pumping at all?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I started pumping after breast refusal and slow weight gain, and a visit to the LC confirmed my low supply. Now, my supply is obviously fine, but she will still refuse for too long. For example, if she nurses at 6:30 and hasn't nursed again by 10:00 when I leave for work, my husband gives her a sippy cup and I pump when I get to work, since I won't get home until 12:30 for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    are you feeding her all that pumped milk? is she getting other supplements? if not i'm confused why you're pumping at all?
    No other supplements. She usually takes 2-3 oz in the cup.

You could try to match how much you pump to how much expressed milk she's drinking from the cup, so that you'll stay in sync. ie, if she's drinking 2-3 oz, pump 2-3 ounces.

yep, i agree with that - match what she's drinking, or maybe aim for a little more if you want to stockpile.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    You could try to match how much you pump to how much expressed milk she's drinking from the cup, so that you'll stay in sync. ie, if she's drinking 2-3 oz, pump 2-3 ounces.
    Well, now you say it sounds like a no brainer. It's just that everything I read says to pump for a few minutes after the last drop, so I have been. I've just been so worried for 5 1/2 months that my common sense left the room a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kayla9214 View Post
    Well, now you say it sounds like a no brainer. It's just that everything I read says to pump for a few minutes after the last drop, so I have been. I've just been so worried for 5 1/2 months that my common sense left the room a long time ago.
    i think everyone has that happen more than once with parenting!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13