Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial service and pumping issues:

Default Memorial service and pumping issues:

Logically, I suppose I know I am going to be okay in the situation I am going to propose, but I think I still need been there, done that mamas to back me up!

I have a funeral service to attend/perform for this Friday. Before baby arrived, I used to sing with our local professional choir, and our group's director passed away. There is a large memorial service planned, the choir is slated to sing for this event, and I really want to participate. The issue is, I have to be on stage for this event 90 minutes before the service begins, and then stay on stage throughout the service. I am guessing the event will likely take a few hours.

I have never, ever gone longer than 3 hours without pumping or nursing. I suspect I have a fairly low storage capacity, because I need to pump frequently and baby has ALWAYS nursed even more frequently than I pump at work (which is every two hours). I guess I am just really freaked out by the idea of potentially having to go 5-6 hours without a milk removal.

Baby is 9.5 months old. She will be home with my mom as if it were a normal work day, and I have extra milk to cover not being able to pump enough on Friday. I am more worried about me being uncomfortable on stage, or mostly that I'm telling my body I don't need that milk--which I really, really do!

Default Re: Memorial service and pumping issues:

Hi sonogirl, can't say that I've been in this exact situation, but definitely have had times where I simply could not pump! I don't think missing one session is going to put a big dent in your supply - I know you are otherwise a very consistent and dedicated pumper, and your milk supply is well established by now. And you may even be okay from a feeling too full perspective, especially if you don't have a large storage capacity - that implies that your breasts will stop making milk once they hit their usual setpoint. But do you think there is absolutely no way you can leave the stage at some point just in case? Is there a way to position yourself close to the end of the row or in the back row?

Yeah, I am positive I will not be able to pump during the service. I'll have to be using my noisy Freestyle anyway since I won't have outlets, and the concert hall has nowhere for me to go that would drown the Freestyle's ridiculous volume out. My plan is to pump hands free in the car on the way there to get myself as empty as possible, and then find somewhere to go whenever the service ends. Probably back to my car!

I'm sure most moms have had a random long stretch here and there--I keep telling myself lots of people have babies who at least sleep a 4-5 hour stretch and all is well. I just feel so nervous about it!

But you'll be able to leave during the service? I mean, 5-6 hours... Most people have to go and pee more often than that! If you took your pee breaks and added a quick trip to your car to pump...

Just throwing the possibility out there.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well, my car is going to be parked about a fifteen minute walk from the concert hall. City parking, oy.

HOWEVER, I am now being told that the performance part of the memorial service is only expected to be about 90 minutes. Even with the 90 minute rehearsal leading up to it, that's a much more comfortable 3-4 hour stretch at worst. I feel better about that, now!

Yes, that should definitely be manageable!

Seems like you dont need to worry but you could get a manual pump and sneak off to a bathroom to relieve a little pressure. That is what I do when I am in court all day and cannot get anywhere to pump.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

I ran a marathon when DD was 9 mos old. It took me 4:22 to finish, plus get to the start line, etc. I pumped right before we left our hotel but it ended up being over 5 hrs before I could remove milk again. I was full but not horribly uncomfortable and then nursed and pumped as soon as I could. I was worried about it but it had zero long term consequences to my supply.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Sorry to hear about your choir director's passing.

One thing I haven't seen anyone else say is, make sure you have good bra pads so you're not worried about visible leaking. That stresses me out more than the discomfort when I can't pump.

I suppose I am "lucky" that I don't ever leak these days, so that never even crossed my mind as a possibility! I haven't even worn a bra in months, I don't think I even own one that would fit me at the moment. The dress I have to wear for the service is a very thick, black material, though--if for some reason I did leak, I don't think it would show through.

I really should get a manual pump for this sort of situation--I own two electric pumps, so I always just carry one of those around as my back up emergency pump. But a manual would be good for this sort of thing where I need quiet.

Thanks for your experience, krystine. I've been most paranoid about my supply, since I've never once had a touch of oversupply or anything of the sort. I know it is just one stretch, but it is still nervewracking.