Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dropping a feed or nursing strike?

Default Dropping a feed or nursing strike?

*Sorry for the repeat topic. It seems like there are a lot of questions about nursing strikes and older babies right now.*

My 11 month old has started refusing to nurse right when I get home from work. He used to nurse twice in the evenings but now I can only get him to nurse before bed. I've just started weaning from my pump this week and am now worried that this dropped feed and the dropped pump is going to be too much of a hit on my supply.

Do you think DS is just dropping a feed or is this a nursing strike? I'm not ready to wean at all and wanted to nurse for quite some time still. I'm very sad that his nursing seems to be decreasing.

Our schedule currently looks like nurse in am, pump twice at work, nurse twice in the evening and once overnight.

Thank you for any advice or experience you might have!

Default Re: Dropping a feed or nursing strike?

When is his last bottle while you are at work? If he is getting a bottle too close to the time that you get home, that may explain his decreased interest in nursing when you first get home. You might try to work with your caregivers to either offer the last bottle a little earlier, or if he absolutely needs one within a couple hours of pickup time, decrease the amount in the bottle.

Also, keep in mind that older babies can be very distractible. So when you do get home from work, you might want to go to a quiet, dark, boring place to nurse.

He doesn't take bottles anymore, he only drinks milk from a sippy with meals. I think it might be partially due to having a snack too close to when I come home, but the issue is that I don't have a set time to get home so it's hard for DH or my nanny to plan when to feed him. I can be home anytime between 4-7pm.

I also noticed that he has a new tooth yesterday so this might also be related to teething.

Thank you for the advice. I do nurse him in his room in the dark and it does seem to help normally, but not this week. Why do babies have to be so confusing?

Oh, I see, that makes it hard. I guess you could do a small 3 pm snack, and if by 5 pm it looks like you'll be having a late day, another small snack to tide him over till you get home?