Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast pain

Default Breast pain

Having to deal with nightmare breastfeeding (unsupportive ob, thrush, possible mastitis, bad latch, etc) I am noticing that my breasts hurt really bad at night....if I sleep on my back when I get up and face gravity the pain is excruciating....sleeping on my side is ok, but painful too. Luckily I can be somewhat of a hermit since wearing any clothing is extremely painful....anyone else deal with this? Does this go along with the Thrush?

Default Re: Breast pain

Sorry you are having so much trouble It is hard to get through some of these obstacles, especially when your LO is very young. How old is Noah?

Ok, is your pain in your whole breast or just your nipple? Is the pain constant or sporatic and stabbing? From my experience, my thrush (I had it for almost 3 months) started off just in the nipple and hurt when I wore clothes. Stabbing pain came on later as it got worse. It wasn't ever a constant pain, though.

If you're having constant pain, is it from laying on an engorged breast while sleeping? Or just laying on a breast filled with milk? (I know I used to sleep on my tummy before I was pg and nursing, now I can't because of having milk in them.) Even on my side I have to be careful depending on how long it's been since Aaron nursed last. Depending on how old Noah is, your breasts may still be adjusting to making milk and may be very hard as they adjust. This usually seems to go away around 6wks or so as your body figures out how much milk to make. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, but I'm trying to think of things as I type here. Let us know where and how your pain happens if you can, please?

You're doing a great job, mama! Hang in there!

I just read back through your posts, you poor thing! I hate to hear about the doctor who said your body was "allergic to breastfeeding!" Anyway, I noticed that Rebecca mentioned a lot of the things on that thread that I was thinking in terms of pain. Hopefully someone else will come along and give other suggestions about why you might be having additional pain. I do want to say even MORE that you are doing a great job and I commend you for sticking through this while having so much trouble. Your LO is benefitting so much from your milk. Sorry I am not more help-

MomofAaron - actually, you are a help since it is nice just to have the support! I was orignally told it was Thrush from my son's pedi due to shooting pains in my right breast ...it slowly got worse and includes nipple pain now. At night it is usually my left breast that hurts and it tends to be the tissue, not the nipple. I notice that if I support it against a pillow or with my hands it is better...gravity makes it painful. Maybe it is because of my milk since my left side produces a ton more!

So I understand correctly, have you had Mastitis and thrush and now this additional pain you're mentioning or is it that you have been chasing the same pain but after all of these guesses you're not really sure what it is? Just want to clarify your history.

I know that thrush doesn't have a standard "it always hurts here first" pain, often you feel it in your nipple first, but sometimes it is within your breast first. Have you definitely eliminted thrush as a possibility? Is it only in one part of your left breast? Is it possibly a plugged duct? If you're having it in one breast more dominantly but it is in both breasts, I'd tend to lean more towards thrush rather than a duct, though.

You have to be very frustrated with this as your starting point to B/F- we will help you here as much as possible, keep communicating and let us know more details. Another to you.

This is the same pain I have had. I have been on Fluconozole twice and used Gentian violet for 4 days with the nipple ointment....