Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clear/Cloudy Milk

Default Clear/Cloudy Milk

I just had my 3rd baby 8 weeks ago and he's been EBF since the moment he was born but I started back at work today so I pump while at work. I did this with my second born and it worked out fine. I've been building up a stock in my freezer and noticed my milk isn't the color of milk ( like my second born's milk was ) but almost clear/ cloudy! I'm worried. What does this mean? He's growing great- went from 8lb 9 oz to 14lb in 7 weeks but... I've never seen this. Help calm my fears as today is my first day back and I don't want to mess this up. I got a new pump this time from my insurance which I don't care for ( ameda purely yours ) and I hope it's not THAT.
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong

Default Re: Clear/Cloudy Milk

The color and opacity of milk can vary quite a lot. It's completely normal for expressed milk to look "thin", particularly if it's had a chance to settle in the fridge and the cream has floated to the top, or if you pumped when the breast was particularly full- a full breast will have more of the watery "foremilk" and will therefore appear more clear.

Don't worry about this, mama.

How's the APY working for you, mama? I personally thought it rather underpowered.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Clear/Cloudy Milk

IT IS underpowered! UGH! I hate it. I had the Medela one last time and still have it- just wanted to get new tubing/etc for it first so when the insurance sent me this one, I thought I'd try it. I guess I'm a medela snob.
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong