Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much for 9m old?

Default How much for 9m old?

My son is 9.5 months and in 5th percentile for weight- always has been. He weighed 16.6 lbs at his 9mo check up and was 27.25". He isn't a skinny guy- definitely has some chub, looks healthy, but just tiny. (Still fits into 3-6 mo clothes!)

His doctor is concerned with how much he is eating, but I'm already forcing him to eat what I am giving him. He gets about 20-25 oz of breastmilk daily (I typically pump throughout the day but nurse him before bed and sometimes in the morning. About 50% of the time he sleeps through the night-12 hrs- or he wakes up once about 3 am and eats then goes back to sleep.)

As for solids, he gets 1/3 sm jar prunes and 1/2 large jar of another food, then another large jar at dinner. (We were making our own, but are traveling for the month and that's just not possible. We buy 'Natures Own' Organic baby food.) It amounts to about 6 oz solids daily.

Doctor wants me to increase what Im' giving him milk wise, but he fights me to eat what he already does. What's more, the DR can't tell me how much to feed him..she just gave me a handout for formula fed babies. I know it's not the same.

Another note: He isn't fussy, very happy guy.

Thanks so much for the help!

Default Re: How much for 9m old?

Hi mama, according to kelly mom, average milk intake is about 25 oz, ranging between 19 and 30 oz. Here's the link: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/. So it sounds like you are on track. At this point it doesn't matter how much solids baby is eating, as solids at this point are for learning tastes, textures, and motor skills for self-feeding. Breastmilk is the primary nutrition. I guess I am wondering, if baby is consistently following his curve, albeit a small one, why is doctor concerned?

If you do want to increase his milk intake, how about a little more nighttime nursing? He may fight you less at that point - usually a 9.5 month old baby is very distractible during the day, more interested in playing and exploring than in drinking milk! But since there isn't much going on at night, and baby is sleepy anyway, that may be a good way to get a few more ounces in him. Especially since he is going a very long stretch at night without feeding, when he sleeps for 12 hours at a time.

Default Re: How much for 9m old?

Couldn't have said it better than the PP.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"